My first custom created character

Yoshin222

Greetings forums XD my name is Sandy Morrison. I am currently working on a fighting game, and have made decent progress. However, i think i need some help. I'm cyrrently working on my own original character (Specifically from an art perspective). The character may bear a lot of similarities to Ryu, i assure you that he has been sprited completely by yours truly. No base, no edit, no anything. I created him pixel by pixel, and while he may not completely finished in any way, i believe he is at least good enough to be shown in public XD. I have talked with a bunch of people on MUGEN Archive in order to improve his first sprite, and it has improved MASSIVELY thanks to their help. So, any opinions of frame 1? I'd appreciate the feedback from anyone reading this as i'd really love to hear your thoughts. I have a lot to learn, so it'd be beneficial to hear the opinions of those with more experience than me. Plus i want to get any problems killed early so i don't have to retread old ground if i find something that's massively wrong. Thank you for reading, and please leave your thoughts!

https://goo.gl/photos/tGoKs4HP6mvuXa79A

13 hours ago, TMC55 said:

That sprite looks amazing. I look forward to more progress

Really?! Damn thanks dude Much appreciated :)

12 hours ago, Dizzy™ said:

I'm impressed. Looking forward for future updates from you.

Getting to work on that thank you very much

I recommend you do an original character rather than a Ryu knock off.

Be creative here if you are doing this by hand and scratch then you might as well do something original because anyone can just play Ryu. Maybe even just modify your current sprite. Remove his gloves and shirt and keep the new palette. He could be a whole new character!

Also sprites of this size are allowed since HD mugen and hi-res stuff exist now but the majority of mugen sprites and mugen characters are made with sprites literally this size.

.Ryu_sprite.gif

I recommend working with this smaller scale to save yourself time and effort. Doing sprites of that size hi-res will really limit you.

Just now, AxSeeker said:

I recommend you do an original character rather than a Ryu knock off.

Be creative here if you are doing this by hand and scratch then you might as well do something original because anyone can just play Ryu. Maybe even just modify your current sprite. Remove his gloves and shirt and keep the new palette. He could be a whole new character!

Also sprites of this size are allowed since HD mugen and hi-res stuff exist now but the majority of mugen sprites and mugen characters are made with sprites literally this size.

.Ryu_sprite.gif

I recommend working with this smaller scale to save yourself time and effort. Doing sprites of that size hi-res will really limit you.

Thanks dude, noted. At the same time, i'm slightly hesitant. I mean a 'knock off' can be done well to distinct itself from the source. For instance Ryo and Akira.  Ryo bears many similarities to Ryu, but i feel he has become his own character who just so happened to be based off of Ryu. From a visual standpoint, Akira is almost copy paste. However many things were done to make him unique. For instance his fighting style is almost nothing like Ryus (btw i intended to give him an original moveset anyway) and he was even expanded upon by the game giving him interests outside of fighting. Granted it was teaching a martial art but still XD I do completely agree on the size aspect though. Creating just one frame takes an eternity, so i think i'll downscale it no matter what. I originally intended to go in a similar direction to Akira truthfully. A 'Don't judge a book by its cover' type deal, have him look similar to Ryu, but having similarities essentially stop there. Due to being proficient in many martial arts myself, i truthfully based some of this character on myself. The design honestly started like 'I find Gis comfortable, mine is blue, i also like sleevless shirts. FUSIONN...HOOOO!' XD I have a ton of ideas for attacks and the like. I do sincerely appreciate the input.

Also i just REALLY quickly drew up a rescaled version. No shading, just the outlines

REjaerzvt5YNCfE4jQFe-REV_KjbF6rsueFdYcwi

You remind me of a friend named JedDragon. He makes characters from scratch to! By hand he created this character, and he's original to.

go.php?u=R6xfqgL3rukq0rUSQG8uvFUVXmr1bhB

There are so many ideas that could be done. There are 1,000+ ryus but hardly anything new.

Here's a link if you wanna look at this more

http://mugenmultiverse.fanbb.net/f55-dragon-sword

There are others to

This one is named bluestreak at Mugen Fighters Guild.

bluestreaktemplate.png

You could be like these guys, just saying.

But at the very least, experiment with 1 sprite. What would you wear as a fighter? Would you use a sword, would you have a cape? Maybe a giant hammer? Or glasses? Maybe you're shorter or perhaps a giant! Who are your favorite fighters? perhaps you could use their ideas in yours. Solid snake eye patch with barefoot ryu, maybe you're a Somalian pirate!

btw you need to copy the whole link to see images and upload them to a file image host site like imgur.com

Here is a quick poorly edited version of some ideas you could see as a demonstration.

efWquAB.png

But im sure you have a better imagination. Give it a shot! See what you can do!

Just now, AxSeeker said:

You remind me of a friend named JedDragon. He makes characters from scratch to! By hand he created this character, and he's original to.

There are so many ideas that could be done. There are 1,000+ ryus but hardly anything new.

There are others to

bluestreaktemplate.png

But at the very least, experiment with 1 sprite. What would you wear as a fighter? Would you use a sword, would you have a cape? Maybe a giant hammer? Or glasses? Maybe you're shorter or perhaps a giant! Who are your favorite fighters? perhaps you could use their ideas in yours. Solid snake eye patch with barefoot ryu, maybe you're a Somalian pirate!

btw you need to copy the whole link to see images and upload them to a file image host site like imgur.com

Here is a quick poorly edited version of some ideas you could see as a demonstration.

efWquAB.png

Dude i genuinely love this advice. The only thing is, for some odd reason, the character i made IS what i would most likely be most comfortable wearing in a fight. I'll see what i can do though. I mean, genuinely i would wear my sleeveless Gi forever if i could it is seriously so damn comfortable XD Also give me a night and i'll come back to you on that. But in all truthful honesty, its not the fact that there are a 1000+ Ryus that irritates me. Its that most of them have the same art. Theres only so many Ryu sprites Capcom has created. I mean, take the KoF XIII Ryu that was unfortunately abandoned. Like many others, i was TOTALLY behind that. It was so cool to see a new artistic take on it. But as mentioned, it was unfortunately stopped. It was a damn shame, the art was genuinely awesome. Honestly, i consider this character to be something of a spiritual successor to that project. It looks similar, but at the same time its looking at it in a totally different way. There are cases where sprites have either been created or edited, but most of them are either recolors, a new idle stance and thats it, or just giving them one different feature like different gloves or anime hair. And it is PAINFULLY boring. Thats why i like my sprite so much and want to stick with the idea. I'm sorry if that comes across as ignorant or anything. I am genuinely taking what you say in to account. Hell, i'm working on an alternate version as we speak. Truthfully, i am massively thankful for the input. It helps me understand the perspective of others and theres a lot to be learned from that

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2015 at 2:01 AM, AxSeeker said:

There are others to

bluestreaktemplate.png

efWquAB.png

Dude, its been a while. Life has happened and haven't been able to make much progress. That doesn't mean its stopped completely, i've redesigned the sprite decently, and have made it in two styles to test the waters. How do these look?

4bF9FCJDABo7XeiMA

wZUWxxvqxjY1JpGbA