Most Disappointing Characters?

Ori-Ori

On 1/30/2018 at 8:34 AM, Pluscross said:

Oh, yeah. Forgot a biggie.

MEGA_X's Toriel. V1 at least because it's the only one I tried.

I have the most recent version on the Undertale collcetion if you're interested.

As for me:

Patrick Star by BeanFan112: He's just bland in a way that you'd prefer AngryBirdCooler's version (which is crap, but at least he didn't steal moves from Crow.)

Papyrus V2 by FourthRhyme: He just spams and his Decap Attack special is just frustrating. ESPECIALLY if you wanted a different move.

Natsuki by AngryBirdCooler: I know for a fact that ABC is trying to improve, but overall the blandest of the new creations. (at least we have Monika in it)

21 hours ago, GarfieldfanMUGEN said:

I have the most recent version on the Undertale collcetion if you're interested.

As for me:

Patrick Star by BeanFan112: He's just bland in a way that you'd prefer AngryBirdCooler's version (which is crap, but at least he didn't steal moves from Crow.)

Papyrus V2 by FourthRhyme: He just spams and his Decap Attack special is just frustrating. ESPECIALLY if you wanted a different move.

Natsuki by AngryBirdCooler: I know for a fact that ABC is trying to improve, but overall the blandest of the new creations. (at least we have Monika in it)

Pardon me for asking, but who is Crow?

On 2/5/2018 at 1:21 PM, GarfieldfanMUGEN said:

As for me:

There's a guy on YT who is working on a Monika right now! My hype when watching the footage has increased tenfold!

Oh yeah, the characters that disappointed me the most. For me, pretty much every 3D MK character. I get hyped... download... and never use them.

12 hours ago, Superkingkong65 said:

There's a guy on YT who is working on a Monika right now! My hype when watching the footage has increased tenfold!

Been there, seen that.

12 hours ago, Superkingkong65 said:

Oh yeah, the characters that disappointed me the most. For me, pretty much every 3D MK character. I get hyped... download... and never use them.

You've never seen that crappy 3D MvC3 Spider-Man... Yeesh.

Hong Kong Phooey by DDR

Sure, it looked great when it first came out. But looking back on him, he's pretty much a mere spriteswap of Sho Nuff.

Pink Panther by Ali and WlanmaniaX

Rather OP character. Mid-air Medium and Heavy Kicks can be used as infinites. Bugs and overpowered moves from time to time. And the blocky, inconsistent spritework doesn't help at all.

Fygar by RoySquadRocks

This character is kinda lackluster. He could use some more moves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2018 at 1:21 PM, GarfieldfanMUGEN said:

Pass. Once was enough...

Two more odd ones:

Another Blood by Miyabi. I'm calling she's a slight edit to whoever made the most used version prior. With brutal counter spam A.I. Thanks for that... I think the only new attack, call me out if this isn't true, is some weird hidden trampling grab. Gee, thanks for that too... Wait, I think I'm seeing a trend here...

Dr. Robotnik by aperson98. He has so much potential. If he had a grab and maybe another non-striker special, he'd easily be the best normal Robotnik/Eggman. A little difficult to use him without a grab so far. Hoping he goes back to finish him and Jim someday...

• 2 weeks later...

Dang, a couple more that just hit me that I gotta throw out. I really need to write these down in advance or something... My bad if there's any issue with all of these "late posts", I'm fairly sure this is the last one though.

Evil Homer by Warner: Homer's simply not made to do a traditional Shoryuken, he looks absolutely silly. I wish Warner strayed a bit further from Evil Ken and added a bit more... "Humor" to his animations to warrant me wanting to use E. Homer over the original Ken, like the big donut power charge or his winposes. Those are good, The Simpsons has plenty of material to add more jokes, but still be Evil Ken.

That one Lucario. That one one that isn't Dszhinez's... He's just Akuma. He's. Just. Akuma... I don't use him in Brawl (In fact I only fought him a couple times in Mugen...) but would adding some of the attacks he had there would have really hurt? I have PLENTY of crazier, arguably better Akumas with brutal A.I., and I don't think anyone who wants a good Akuma will get a Pokemon, they'll just get P.O.T.S.'s 

King Fancy Man. I think no Mugen character has ever gotten me in real trouble as much as this one KFM edit. He's only... Alright... Meh. Mugen videos made him look so much cooler than he really is.

Any of Robo's characters aside from Pill and Rulue. They're all strange characters, but what is with the extremely silly instant death attacks most of them have...? And they all have some really poorly coded bounce states, and why don't the two I mentioned have the super cool hyper effect his others have? That ain't right... That ain't right at all... Would say they're borderline OP, and that's not even on their A.I. setting...

The newer Eric Cartman by Pokemonboy7651. I hate the Anal Probe hyper, it only hits enemies after a launcher? What type of hyper even...

The true last one I've got: Bomberman by Gladiacloud. For being based on his SSF2 moveset, (which I already have a bias against, but...) he's missing his best attacks from SSF2 like the slide, P-Bombs, and a couple of his aerials. Some of his hitboxes are really goofy, (too small on some explosions, too big on grabs, roll's hurtbox appears too early...) extremely basic melee gameplay (Especially compared to Bubblun, maybe this was intended for a greater emphasis on using Bombs Away and Bomb Kick more though?), and Bomb Jump completely dwarfing the need for the Jetpack hyper. Another very small thing is that it personally irks me that I still have not found out which game his voice and sounds come from, but I'll get that eventually...

• 1 month later...

FourthRhyme's Papyrus was mentioned earlier, and I believe in general that while FourthRhyme's characters are actually quite charming, they're heavily unpolished. His Bubsy and Browncoat in particular could've been a lot better than they currently are.

Bubsy is absurdly powerful, with specials moves that are either nearly useless (the charge/dash) or flat-out spam to win (the lightning). Oh, and he has hypers that have success rates depending entirely on luck. Mr. Game and Watch's Judge (if only because he had that move from where most of his moveset came from, and IMO he doesn't feel too Smash in his MUGEN incarnations that have Judge) is really an exception to my dislike of luck-based elements in MUGEN.

Browncoat is a let down mainly for one reason: the imps. You can basically just spam the imps to win, and they're quite cheap since they come out almost instantly and are quite agile. Maybe the hypers should also be a bit faster? I dunno....

Ryutaro's Squigly thanks to it's lack of damage damping. That, and she lacks the focus/stand change mechanic from her source. I know I said that in a status update, but I feel like adding it here.

• 7 months later...

hatya's Cure Moonlight because of it being AI-only and all-around terrible and SuperJoshua19's Screen Gems (S from Hell) because of it not having get hit boxes unlike the same author's Viacom (V of Doom). I wish that somebody could make a patch that gives it get hit boxes someday...........:sigh:

• 1 month later...

Minoo's Touhou Characters. it was a low blow to me when I was re-visiting my roster, to see them so unpolished and janky in comparison to all the good Touhou stuff (kudos to Ricepigeon for making arguably the best Touhous), especially because back when I was young, these were right up my alley, now that I'm older and crave more quality, I kind of feel disappointed whenever I try them out, I want to bring out especially his Yoshika, which I remember loving back in my hayday, but now I feel she's stiff and janky, and I can't pull like half her moveset, the only one I find salvageable nowadays is his Kyouko, and even then, she's not even close to being as good as I remembered her

most of sumin's characters. being cheap is one thing, i like cheap characters. but their characters are so tiny that alot of attacks just go over them. there are alot of tiny characters in mugen and most of them piss me off but sumin's betty annoys me the most with it

• 4 weeks later...

Falcondurap’s Haggar. It was SSF2X style, which made me thing “awesome! A nice guest for my roster.”

And then I was like “wait a minute, shouldn’t this be based on the Slam Masters 2 Haggar, not the FF1 Haggar?” 

• 10 months later...

Shin Akuma (Reu Style) edit

Unfortunately I don't remember who made this, but someone did an edit of Shin Akuma with a Reu Style edit, and while the character itself is really good, ya know, it plays good, it feels good to use and watch, the AI isn't aggressive enough.

I'll be honest, AI is the one thing that makes or breaks a character for me, I love it when the AI is relentless and unforgiving. Obviously, too cheap will be un-enjoyable, but when the AI gives you a run for your money, then its a beautiful experience, which is why Vyn is one of my favorites, his AI edits are so freaking good.

On 12/17/2019 at 1:16 PM, jo19sh92 said:

I'll be honest, AI is the one thing that makes or breaks a character for me

I don't care about the AI (unless it exploits flaws in the character) as I prefer playing characters, but I can see how that could bother you.

Anyways, here's what I can think of right now. I set better expectations for myself nowadays so all of these are rather old examples:

- Mugenpoopmaster's Gengar looked promising to me, because Gengar's cool and I thought "hey, Type Wild sprites, can't go wrong with those!" Unfortunately I was proven wrong by an oddly-functioning mediocre character.

- Choiyer's Haruhi looked neat at first but became WAY too NSFW overtime which turned me away from it. Thank goodness for Zero-Sennin and Nep Heart.

- ShinRyoga's Luigi. Thanks to my crappier-than-crap internet when I first DLed him, I didn't know what he really functioned like. When I found out he was just "Green Mario" taken to the extreme, I was very disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

-willg8686's Super Brawl Creations (Spongebob, Patrick, Classic Spongebob and Sandy)... most of these hypers does much damage and also it causes Bugs on Muteki's Sol Badguy's AI then to get stuck into a state, these are broken (Spongebob and That Classic one) 😕 (similar to Warner's Evil Homer at Ina's Heart Aino and Saki Tsuzura)
-Pedro Higin's Creations, most of these are crappy for me and most of the characters misses sprites or are just salty spriteswaps.

EDIT: i forget that is a different thread :s apologies.

45 minutes ago, Jansen121 said:

Any crappy content you might find on MUGEN archive (willg8686, musthe1, marcioleo123 & etc):

these are all shovelware mugen content ranging from poorly-done characters that are really broken (mostly), shoddly-done spriteswaps & recolor stuff.

Rather than finding those on MUGEN Archive i found most of those in any site ofc.

• 2 months later...

My instances:

• Jay_High19's Barney - Missing a few sprites, why he uses his Burger King as a base?
  • Jay_High19's Burger King - Like his Barney, the sound effects are stolen from Kung Fu Man, his KO sound was Kung Fu Man's.
  • Jay_High19's Daffy Duck - The sprites are from a Sega Genesis game called "Daffy Duck in Hollywood", he was a Kung Fu Man spriteswap, he spams his attacks. Still has the Kung Fu Man KO sound.
  • WlanmaniaX's Mr. Bean - His sprites looks like they are drawn by a five year old with his head ripped from the show. Some codings are a bit buggy. He sometimes crashes the game.
  • TheIranSonic's Poisonberry - Uses N64Mario's character template for some reasons. The sprites are badly drawned, also missing a lot of sprites. No sounds for him...
  • Madoldcrow1105's Princess Bubblegum - Lacks animations including turning and crouch turning, lacks an lose pose because due to that she uses N64Mario's character template. Her specials and hypers are still good.
  • FelixMario2011's Goofy - His hitboxes are more too much and so much. Uses N64Mario's character template for some reasons. He spams his attacks alot.
  • Lasher's Grover - He was so very buggy, sometimes, he just stands in his intro state. Can spam attacks, specials and hypers. Strikers can even turn into a Grover clone when hit. May sometimes crashes the game.
  • Idiot's characters - MY GOD! WHAT IS THIS? SOME CRAPPY-MADE CHARACTERS?
  • Hanyou's Super Mario 64 - He was a cheep character, he spams many attacks, His specials strangly still peformed when his powerbar is down. The sound effects and voices are poorly recorded by a microphone (except for his cry scream on the Assist Bowser hyper and "Yahoo!" on his Caught By the Tail hyper).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

- Zachary's Creations(Ickis,Postman Pat,Pajama Sam,Croc,ect.)(these creaton are so terrible)

- TheKCroxas's Creations(Swampert,Hades,ect.)(These creation has missing sprites and CLSN Box,but it's really terrible and bad)

- Alerkina4's Creations(These Characters is Spriteswap of Other Characters with Poorly Drawn Sprites)

- Ivan Luiz's Dr. Mario(he has No Special or Hyper Attacks,it only normal one,he is sprite edit of Shin's Super Mario,his small icon are Broken Palette)

- Smashfan41's GIR(this version has spam tacos and uses sprites from Attack Toybot DS,there is no good version of GIR)