Indexing sprites?

Private Mucho

Question

So, here's the catch: I am using Fighter Factory 32. Whenever I put unindexed sprite into new SFF, it's always black that is considered transparent color. Also, if any other sprite has more colors, than first sprite, then it's palette shifts. I call that effect "Polymorphitis".

The question is: How do I index sprites? And with what tool, if that requires?

8 answers to this question

Alright, I decided to not wait 'til I get asked for what and how this happens, or other answers, so I'm going to get this straight.

Here, this is what happens when I add new sprite to the SFF and try it in game:

ePBi1MX.png

This even happens when I start a fresh SFF with that!

Any ideas about how to resolve this problem?

Oh, and to remind ya, I still use Fighter Factory 32.

yeah , cause you NEED to index your sprites.

regardless of what version of mugen or which SFF you use (SFF2 supports 24bit images), YOU STILL NEED TO INDEX YOUR IMAGES. (not yelling)

I personally use Paintshop Pro.

but if you need a free alternative

Gimp

Paint.net

work really well to. They CAN do almost the same thing, but some buttons are named differently, so google it for easy success!

I can't vouch for any other application, but in CS2 (and any version of Photoshop, though CS2 is legally free), Image -> Mode -> Indexed Color. Transparency is decided by the first colour in the palette, which can be set by making your background colour the only forced colour via Indexed Color -> Forced: Custom.

Yoshaa, I got this Photoshop CS2. Now that I have that tool, I can probably go and Index all those sprites for my Super Secret Project... If I could. Th problem is, I don't know how to make color transparent while Indexing:

http://imgur.com/s0Ryykp

Oh, you may notice russain symbols in here. Yeah that is, it turns out that while I was hurrying up, I accidentally installed Russian version! And now I can't use the same Serial in a text document to reinstall it as English!