Popeye the Sailor Man

TheFclass97

My heart is beating extremely rapid... As my nerves grows with each percent this character gained from the mediafire upload bar... Ladies & Gentlemen, I semi-proudly present my first ever official & public mugen character I have ever created... *toot*toot*

c5d654e6b6.png

Popeye the Sailor Man

M.U.G.E.N Version: 1.0+
Sprites: Originally created by DDR Creations
Coding/Palletes/Testing/Etc.: TheFclass97 (myself)
Button Layout: 6 (7 if including Start)

667dd67b78.png

Readme includes: 

>Move list
>Credits + Special Thanks
>Details on the character's system
>Terminologies (or a Legend basically) 

Donwload Link ==> http://tinyurl.com/o3oy6uh

Hope ya enjoy my 1st character...

Criticism is obviously welcomed. Feel free to post any bugs, balancing issues, etc., I'll try my best to fix them ^_~

~FCJ

Sailor Surprise is a bit underpowered.
I'm disappointed that the Ship/Perfect Storm hyper isn't in.

Thanks for the feedback. Notes:

> Sailor Surprise great for setups, and you can combo after it. So by itself (raw), it isn't great, as it was meant to continue a combo and that's when it becomes a good super. Not to mention, it's an OTG (Off the ground). 

> I originally wanted to code perfect storm to him, but I felt it would be a bit too much like DDR's original and could get a bit too nuts. But it's never too late... ^_~ 

First real update!

Ver. 1.1 (Oct/4/2015) (Wow, THAT took forever)

Changes/Adjustments:

> Adjusted hitboxes for priority
> No more clones (Fixed the hitspark glitches)
> New sounds 
> Slight tweaking on regular grab
> Hitbox adjustments on Flamethrower and Twister Punch
> Slight damage nerf on heavy normals (80 ==> 60)
> Slight damage nerf on Anchor Super and Low Anchor (18 per hit ==> 12)(15 per hit ==> 10)
> Slight AI adjustments (pffff)
> Slight tweakining on Sailor Charge (Adjsuted damage from 70 ==> 60/65)
> No frame adjustments
> No combo adjustments
> Flametrhower is now a proper charge move

Link has been updated, please re-download... 

More feedback:
Sailor Uppercut can't be used on a keyboard outside of a combo because of the way State -1 is sorted out. (Dragon Punch commands go above QCF commands)

There's some leftover collision box errors from DDR's original release such as the standing to crouch animation.

• - CLSNs and hitboxes could use a major makeover. Stuff like Pipe Flame's hitboxes and Sailor Surprise has so much priority.
  • - Most moves feel completely underpowered. For combos, just add a damage dampener.
  • - Pipe Flame creates debug flood (EXPRESSION TRUNCATED TO INTERGER), causes P2's run and dash backwards states to become disabled unless hit, and for some reason, P2's dash animation now has a hitbox.
  • - Leftover hitboxes from DDR's for crouching and walking forward, as jenngra stated, are present.

• - CLSNs and hitboxes could use a major makeover. Stuff like Pipe Flame's hitboxes and Sailor Surprise has so much priority.
  • - Most moves feel completely underpowered. For combos, just add a damage dampener.
  • - Pipe Flame creates debug flood (EXPRESSION TRUNCATED TO INTERGER), causes P2's run and dash backwards states to become disabled unless hit, and for some reason, P2's dash animation now has a hitbox.
  • - Leftover hitboxes from DDR's for crouching and walking forward, as jenngra stated, are present.

thanks for the response. I'll fix the issues. Hope you enjoyed him...

Notes:

> I'll check that out

> His system was simply made to have combos centered around him for good damage. On their own, they aren't great. You get "rewarded" (I guess you can say)

> I'll check that out

> Do you mean a random red hitbox would occur when you walk? If not, that's the parry hitbox... If not that, could ya explain which part exactly?

More feedback:
Sailor Uppercut can't be used on a keyboard outside of a combo because of the way State -1 is sorted out. (Dragon Punch commands go above QCF commands)

There's some leftover collision box errors from DDR's original release such as the standing to crouch animation.

> Yeah... I've been having that trouble a bit for dp's as well... I'll fix that. Even though I can do it on keyboard, I do see the input issue. Simple fix thanks.

> you and dizzy said the same thing, but my n00bness is having issues with knowing what do you mean exactly... (sorry if that sounds weird, I usually just have trouble since I'm still relatively young at coding and whatnot).

thanks for the response. I'll fix the issues. Hope you enjoyed him...

Notes:

> I'll check that out

> His system was simply made to have combos centered around him for good damage. On their own, they aren't great. You get "rewarded" (I guess you can say)

> I'll check that out

> Do you mean a random red hitbox would occur when you walk? If not, that's the parry hitbox... If not that, could ya explain which part exactly?

> Yeah... I've been having that trouble a bit for dp's as well... I'll fix that. Even though I can do it on keyboard, I do see the input issue. Simple fix thanks.

> you and dizzy said the same thing, but my n00bness is having issues with knowing what do you mean exactly... (sorry if that sounds weird, I usually just have trouble since I'm still relatively young at coding and whatnot).

Feedback Barrage + Responses:
Look at the collision boxes (not the red one that's OK) of animation 10 and you'll see what I mean.

I also noticed in Flame Breath that the opponent is unable to attack until you hit him with a different attack.

The reason why we think the supers are underpowered is because they're weaker than XX specials which cost half as much powerbar.

I recommend a damage dampener because it helps prevent overpowered combos.

Put getpower = 0 on the HitDefs of moves that cost power to prevent Popeye from gaining power back.

Feedback Barrage + Responses:Look at the collision boxes (not the red one that's OK) of animation 10 and you'll see what I mean.

I also noticed in Flame Breath that the opponent is unable to attack until you hit him with a different attack.

The reason why we think the supers are underpowered is because they're weaker than XX specials which cost half as much powerbar.

I recommend a damage dampener because it helps prevent overpowered combos.

Put getpower = 0 on the HitDefs of moves that cost power to prevent Popeye from gaining power back.

> Got it

> Got it

> I could fix the damage on xx moves and SLIGHTLY buff his super damage...

> Not 100% sure (at least for popeyes character, if I were to make more chars, their damage on combos wouldn't be like how popeye is right now. I'll most likely do that for future chars).

> That's actually very useful dude, thank you.

Thanks for feedback... I'll fix these problems when I get the chance. btw, do you like the char?

I think once all the bugs are fixed and a few more moves and intros are added it will be a better Popeye than DDR's. (I'll make a video showing off an overpowered combo in Popeye that will probably make you either want the damage dampener or adjust his combo system) 

I think once all the bugs are fixed and a few more moves and intros are added it will be a better Popeye than DDR's. (I'll make a video showing off an overpowered combo in Popeye that will probably make you either want the damage dampener or adjust his combo system) 

Well, I'm about semi-done with fixing the major bugs... For the combo though, let's see... I'm very interested... ^_~ 

Here it is. https://youtu.be/r-3tAjnGil0 (I made sure it would still be doable after the getpower = 0 is added)

Not bad... Lol, but in all seriousness, there could be other methods to fix this, no? Like for example, giving him recovery frames at the end of surprise, having the only option to continue it with an otg flame... and ofcourse, you can tech flame...idk, I just feel like adjusting that would be a better option than damage adjustment, unless its a "good" idea to continue after surprise.

;Useless bullshit (Not really though, don't fuck with it plz)

I noticed in your coding you have alot of comments that are really....intense.

whats up with that?

also I was wondering were any parts of this character copied and pasted from another?

I noticed in your coding you have alot of comments that are really....intense.

whats up with that?

also I was wondering were any parts of this character copied and pasted from another?

I apologise if it does "offend" people, just added some easter eggs or whatever in the code, don't know why I just thought it was funny to me atm. I could tone it down in later releases if necessary...

As far as copying code, majority, if not all of it was written by me, while things like the normals and parry code where just altered from the template I used. Only the sprites we're not made by me, but the rest we're, in addition to some alters I have done to some of the vanilla code from the template (altered so it doesn't play that style obviously...) I coded myself... If there are any issues you find in the char, feel free to post them and I'll try to fix if needed... thanks ^_~ 

Btw, almost done with the things noted above and from other sites... He'll get updated pretty soon. 

me personally, i dont care. but I feel in the coding world leaving curse words around doesnt really mean much to a person looking at code, especially if you don't know anything about coding and just decide to take a look at the coding.

Ahhh So you used a template, which template did you use?

and for the sake of the future and all that, if you used a template then you didnt really code it all yourself, just a technicality.

also NO i'm not trying to be a jerk to expose you as a liar or anything, I'm just trying to figure out why this coding looks very familiar to me, when you say its your first character. Cause some parts of it looks copy pasta-ed.

me personally, i dont care. but I feel in the coding world leaving curse words around doesnt really mean much to a person looking at code, especially if you don't know anything about coding and just decide to take a look at the coding.

Ahhh So you used a template, which template did you use?

and for the sake of the future and all that, if you used a template then you didnt really code it all yourself, just a technicality.

also NO i'm not trying to be a jerk to expose you as a liar or anything, I'm just trying to figure out why this coding looks very familiar to me, when you say its your first character. Cause some parts of it looks copy pasta-ed.

I see... The template was Memo's pots style template (as stated in the readme). For coding though, the template only covered the normals, parry, and power charge. However, everything else (secials, xx moves, spinach mode, supers, etc.) I coded, but I guess that could land into technicality... It's a start, ya know? (Being my 1st character and all). As far as the whole ctrl-c thing, if it does appear thst way, it's not from any other source but from what I coded in (example: the flashes of blue for the xx moves, we're copied from the same character and not from another). Thank you for your feedback though, hopefully I can make a lot of better things in the future.

My vid presentation of Popeye... :P

Congrats, really a good char bro. :)

Thanks man... ^_~

Wow, there's a LOT that needs to be done here. Here comes a long list of issues...

1. The Small Portrait is too big. Needs to be 25x25.

2. Your choices of animation for all basic things such as attacks and movement are questionable at best. Air Strong Punch looks like it should be a crouch attack, blocking has him just standing there (Air blocking is a better example of a good block), the grab attack makes very little sense, and Air Medium Kick has him transform to kick, with horrible transitions between forms.
a. With that being said, certain animations make some attacks finish slower than others. Stand Medium Kick takes even longer to finish than every basic attack other than Crouch Strong Punch.
b. Other animations repeat even if pressed only once, like all the Air Kick attacks. The secret to finding this out is pressing Kick early as soon as you leave the ground into a normal jump.

3. Collisions need work overall. Standing, walking, blocking, and getting hurt while standing should be about the same length and height for consistency's sake.
a. Stand Medium Kick is ridiculous in that the attack has ended, but the collision is still there, so the opponent can still get hit by it. Seriously, try walking towards him as soon as Popeye's foot has stomped.
b. Stand Strong Kick has huge priority, both in front and behind him.
c. Throw's range needs to be longer for what it's worth. The animation looks like the grab range should be longer, but isn't.
d. Twister Punch and Sailor Charge are almost half-screen attacks, while Pipe Flame IS A FULL-SCREEN ATTACK!

4. Some basic attacks need some tweaking for more fluid chain-ability. Stand Strong Kick looks like it could be a launcher, but doesn't actually launch the opponent at all. Air Medium attacks actually do a better job, although they shouldn't be doing it.
a. All Air attacks cannot chain into each-other.
b. Air Medium attacks knocks the opponent to the floor, so whatever chain combo you want to perform in the air will be useless.
c. Air Strong Kick can only knock down the opponent if they're on the ground.

5. Using Air Strong Punch and Pipe Flame will force the opponent into [50070], then into his own basic states. When that happens, the opponent cannot attack, and jumping causes clones to appear from a helper called "Jump Dust".

6. I don't like how you can only use stronger, power-hungry specials when performing other specials, instead of on demand like the same command with two punches/kicks.
a. Said specials need a damage buff. As it stands, Twister Punch, Sailor Charge, and Sailor Counter deal too little damage to be considered, even with XX-Move Versions.

7. Twister Punch charges too slowly to bother using it to cause unblockable damage. It takes 2.5 seconds to charge to the max, and the opponent can hit you out of it at any time.

8. Weak and Medium versions of Sailor Uppercut are basically the same. In the same way you made the Strong version, give the Weak and Medium versions a bit more variety.
a. Get hit out of the move while at the jump part, and Popeye will stand in mid-air!

9. Sailor Counter takes too long to get out of it. The counter lasts half a second, while you're stuck there for two seconds!

10. Ultra Anchor is missing effects that DDR had, including one that involved the anchor ripping the floor apart.
a. The anchor itself moves off-screen but doesn't dissappear at all. Spam enough of these, and no-one will be able to use helpers at all!

11. Spinach Mode uses a blue-ish colour that makes Popeye invisible after the green colour effects.
a. Spinach Mode's "Slight HP Nerf" is very drastic and may need nerfing: it makes Popeye take 100% extra damage! It also isn't listed in the readme file.

12. Sound placements make no sense at all. "Hey, your Pen-knife's there" when charging Twister Punch, the same "Woah" from missing a grab and grabbing the opponent is used for getting hurt, and the "Dancing" Win pose's music keeps repeating itself.

13. Your win animations needs a lot of work. The "Shirt Rip" win is lacking effects and has him rip his shirt too quickly for what it's worth, and the "Olive and Popeye" win has Olive appear out of nowhere!

Seriously, almost everything needs work. DDR actually had some effects that you could leave alone and it would be acceptable. Instead, much of the effects were taken out.

Wow, there's a LOT that needs to be done here. Here comes a long list of issues...

1. The Small Portrait is too big. Needs to be 25x25.

2. Your choices of animation for all basic things such as attacks and movement are questionable at best. Air Strong Punch looks like it should be a crouch attack, blocking has him just standing there (Air blocking is a better example of a good block), the grab attack makes very little sense, and Air Medium Kick has him transform to kick, with horrible transitions between forms.
a. With that being said, certain animations make some attacks finish slower than others. Stand Medium Kick takes even longer to finish than every basic attack other than Crouch Strong Punch.
b. Other animations repeat even if pressed only once, like all the Air Kick attacks. The secret to finding this out is pressing Kick early as soon as you leave the ground into a normal jump.

3. Collisions need work overall. Standing, walking, blocking, and getting hurt while standing should be about the same length and height for consistency's sake.
a. Stand Medium Kick is ridiculous in that the attack has ended, but the collision is still there, so the opponent can still get hit by it. Seriously, try walking towards him as soon as Popeye's foot has stomped.
b. Stand Strong Kick has huge priority, both in front and behind him.
c. Throw's range needs to be longer for what it's worth. The animation looks like the grab range should be longer, but isn't.
d. Twister Punch and Sailor Charge are almost half-screen attacks, while Pipe Flame IS A FULL-SCREEN ATTACK!

4. Some basic attacks need some tweaking for more fluid chain-ability. Stand Strong Kick looks like it could be a launcher, but doesn't actually launch the opponent at all. Air Medium attacks actually do a better job, although they shouldn't be doing it.
a. All Air attacks cannot chain into each-other.
b. Air Medium attacks knocks the opponent to the floor, so whatever chain combo you want to perform in the air will be useless.
c. Air Strong Kick can only knock down the opponent if they're on the ground.

5. Using Air Strong Punch and Pipe Flame will force the opponent into [50070], then into his own basic states. When that happens, the opponent cannot attack, and jumping causes clones to appear from a helper called "Jump Dust".

6. I don't like how you can only use stronger, power-hungry specials when performing other specials, instead of on demand like the same command with two punches/kicks.
a. Said specials need a damage buff. As it stands, Twister Punch, Sailor Charge, and Sailor Counter deal too little damage to be considered, even with XX-Move Versions.

7. Twister Punch charges too slowly to bother using it to cause unblockable damage. It takes 2.5 seconds to charge to the max, and the opponent can hit you out of it at any time.

8. Weak and Medium versions of Sailor Uppercut are basically the same. In the same way you made the Strong version, give the Weak and Medium versions a bit more variety.
a. Get hit out of the move while at the jump part, and Popeye will stand in mid-air!

9. Sailor Counter takes too long to get out of it. The counter lasts half a second, while you're stuck there for two seconds!

10. Ultra Anchor is missing effects that DDR had, including one that involved the anchor ripping the floor apart.
a. The anchor itself moves off-screen but doesn't dissappear at all. Spam enough of these, and no-one will be able to use helpers at all!

11. Spinach Mode uses a blue-ish colour that makes Popeye invisible after the green colour effects.
a. Spinach Mode's "Slight HP Nerf" is very drastic and may need nerfing: it makes Popeye take 100% extra damage! It also isn't listed in the readme file.

12. Sound placements make no sense at all. "Hey, your Pen-knife's there" when charging Twister Punch, the same "Woah" from missing a grab and grabbing the opponent is used for getting hurt, and the "Dancing" Win pose's music keeps repeating itself.

13. Your win animations needs a lot of work. The "Shirt Rip" win is lacking effects and has him rip his shirt too quickly for what it's worth, and the "Olive and Popeye" win has Olive appear out of nowhere!

Seriously, almost everything needs work. DDR actually had some effects that you could leave alone and it would be acceptable. Instead, much of the effects were taken out.

I see.. thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to fix the issues.

Notes:

1) I'll check that

2) I could say that's preference there, but you do have a point with "awkward" transitioning with j. MK

2a) I'll check out the frames

2b) Already done

3) I'll check that

3a) I'll check that

3b) I'll check that

3c) Are ya sure? (I'll check it anyways)

3d) Already done

4) It's not a launcher

4a) This version doesn't have air combos (not meant to be)

4b) Again, no air combos...

4c) I'll check that

5) Already done

6) If you mean not being able to use XX-moves like normal EX moves, think of them like meter burning...

6a) Already in checking

7) Hence the reason why it's unblockable and takes forever. Using it as a mix up is helpful. Also, keep in mind you can dash cancel it like FADC's in SF4...

8) I'll check that

8a) I'll check that

9) I'll check that

10) Never really intended to use DDR's effects, but I can see how they would actually have an "impact" to them...

10a) Could have swarn I added a Destroyself somewhere...

11) You mean that one moment he turns transparent? I could fix that. 

11a) I mean, you ARE getting free unblockables out of it... Might look into nerfing it though...

12) I was never good at sounds, they were admittedly kind of rushed in. 

13) They do in fact... also, for the shirt rip, effects like the missile coming out of his back I was never a fan of in the first place... 

Glad you can send me some real good feedback... I'll fix them. 

• 3 weeks later...

This took a little longer than expected (thanks college), but HEY! It's here.... and hopefully it fixes most of the previous bs mentioned. So yeah...

POPEYE HAS BEEN UPDATED

LINK HAS BEEN UPDATED! PLEASE CHECK THE FIRST POST AND RE-DOWNLOAD IT!

Changes to him:

> Adjusted hitboxes for priority
> No more clones (...again.....)
> New sounds 
> Hitbox adjustments on Flamethrower (not totally full screen, but still covers a lot)
> Damage buff on supers
> Damage nerfs on XX-moves
> HP nerf for spinach mode has been nerfed (now around 50% instead of a full 100%)
> Animation change on Air MK
> Fixed Looping Air attacks
> Adjusted hitboxes to fit for standing, blocking, etc.
> New blocking animations
> Nerf on Sailor Surprise (more end frames to not be able to combo after)
> New effects (kind of iffy, but at least they exist) on Low Ultra Anchor super
> Adjustments to sound
> Adjustment to small portrait
> Fixed blockstun on twister punch
> Fixed DP motion
> Adjusted the Anchors
> Fixed Air Heavy Punch
> Adjusted DP, now Popeye doesn't float when someone hits his Sailor Uppercut
> Baby-proofed (some) of the text in the coding
> Adjusted standing Medium Kick
> Adjusted all normals (frame wise)
> Adjusted his Standing Heavy Kick (hitbox wise)
> Removed the debug flood on Pipe Flame
> Adjusted length (X-Axis & Y-Axis) on DP
> Cut the Olive Oil win pose
> Fixed Sailor dance win music

• 2 weeks later...

Meu coração está batendo extremamente rápido ... Como meus nervos cresce a cada por cento este personagem ganhou a partir da barra de upload mediafire ... Ladies & Gentlemen, eu apresento semi-orgulhosamente meu primeiro personagem mugen já oficial e público que eu já criado .. . * * toot toot *

c5d654e6b6.png

O Popeye Sailor Man

MUGEN Versão: 1.0+
Sprites: Originalmente criado por DDR Criações
de codificação / Palletes / Testing / Etc .: TheFclass97 (eu mesmo)
Botão Layout: 6 (7 se incluindo Start)

667dd67b78.png

Leia-me inclui: 

> Lista
Mover> Créditos + Agradecimentos
Especiais> Detalhes no sistema do
personagem> Terminologias (ou a Legend basicamente) 

Donwload link ==> http://tinyurl.com/o3oy6uh

Espero que gostem do meu primeiro ya personagem ...

A crítica é obviamente bem-vindas. Sinta-se livre para deixar quaisquer bugs, problemas de equilíbrio, etc., eu vou tentar o meu melhor para corrigi-los ^ _ ~

~ FCJ

What is the name of this stage ?