Wario WIP by RobotMonkeyHead

On 5/10/2016 at 11:57 PM, Demitri said:

Someone's been busy I see ;)

yyyyyup.  Chippin away at it, and alas... the end is neigh XD  Dude those missions still have to happen somehow, in some form or another, you know?  Are you still into that?  Sorry, I'll pm you.
-----
Ok in keeping the focus on balance, damages to be specific, here are the basic damage values for all of Wario's attacks.  I used POTS Ryu's damages as a baseline again, assuming his hardest level 3 did about 450 damage, the haduken did about 100, shoryuken 150, Quicks 20, Mediums 40, Hards 60

If anyone has opinions on these values, please do share.  The more input the better, as far as I'm concerned.

;_______/ DAMAGE NOTES

;Basics - 20-60

;Specials - 80-160

;Hypers - 200-666

;

;Quicks - 20

;Mediums - 40

;Strongs - 60

;

;throws - 100

;4 throw chain - 160

;

;Windup Clock L1 - 80

;Windup Clock L2 - 100

;Windup Clock L3 - 120

;

;---SPECIALS

;Fireball - 80

;Bob-omb - 100

;Wustache Twister Q - 100

;Wustache Twister M - 125

;Wustache Twister S - 150

;

;Dash Attack Q - 100

;Dash Attack M - 120

;Dash Attack S - 140

;

;Sonic Knuckles - 25

;Sonic Knuckles with Cymbalic Ring - 50

;

;Ground Pound Drop - 80

;Ground Pound Bounce - 20

;

;Cannon Ball - 150

;

;Motorcycle - 100-160

;

;---HYPERS

;Roundown Ground Pound - 200-400

;Captains Piledriver - 200-300

;Vampoff Garlic Breath - 150-300

;

;Flaming Wario - 300-350 + x%

;Snowman Wario - 300-350 + x%

;Mad-Bob-omber Wario - 200-400

;

;Max Fastosity Dasherator - 0-500

;Lunch Money Shakedown - 250

;Shake Dimension Bosssummon - 222-666

;

;_____/ HIT FRAMES

;All quicks cause 12 frames of stun(hittime) for the opponent

;All mediums cause 16 frames of stun(hittime) for the opponent

;All strongs cause 20 frames of stun(hittime) for the opponent

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2016 at 6:01 PM, Ballsdeep69 said:

Wow, the movelist is so colorful. I like it! Looks like someone's quite busy.

It took me a while to see the logo on the joystick. Nicely done.

Thanks mang, that thing took way more work than I expected. XD  Yea the logo in the joystick ball is a theme I'm using in a screen pack I've been working on for a couple years now.  That'll be my next wip thread.  (sry for the latte reply btw)

On 5/17/2016 at 9:55 PM, Demitri said:

lol @ 666
we can talk about the thing soon. 

how did you get past that bug from coding movelists? i meant to ask that last time

I didn't really.  I just used a superpause and figured it's going to be a tiny bit glitchy every once in a while.  Meaning if you try to activate the moveslist during anothe superpause, it will wait for the original superpause to finish before the moves list opens.  No biggie as far as I'm concerned. 

And yes let's definitely talk soon.

On 5/17/2016 at 2:03 AM, JARRO77 said:

i'm a big fan of wario i must admit you make really a great work on him :)

:goodmood:Thanks!

About the new beta:  Double tap taunt during a fight to activate (or exit) the in-game moves list.  The moves list will tell you how to do pretty much everything else.

-Things you don't need to worry about:  Palette problems, sounds

-Key things to evaluate: Damages, frame advantages, fairness, object interactions

-Things that ideas are still needed for: Victory quotes, any changes to basics.

-Damage scaling:  SF4 style.  1st and 2nd hits do 100% damage, 3rd hit does 90%, 4th hit does 80% etc, down as low as 10%

Notes.txt on the character def crashes Mugen.

Standing Hard Punch has +3 advantage frames.

Crouching Medium Punch has +4 advantage frames.

Crouching Medium Kick has -15 advantage frames.

Captain's Pile Driver is too underpowered.

Gimme Your Lunch Money sometimes glitches out and heals over 500 damage.

On 5/30/2016 at 0:41 PM, jenngra505 said:

-Fixed, beta link updated

-I'm ok with this.  What kind of adjustments would you make?

-Damage increases every time you get a treasure.  Based off her shop in Shake It, sort of.  It's

a little low relative to other L1 hypers, because it can be chained into from throws, adding up to 140 damage.

Was: Damage = 120 + (number of treasures x 20)    total damage range 120-300

Now: Damage = 210 + (number of treasures x 10)    total damage range 210-300

-This is true.  Combined with 250 damage, it's a 750 health offset, which is a bit much.
    What do you think, maybe heal a max of 330 and deal 220 damage?

----------------------
Compatibility updated.  Wario now has the following animations:  Spinning upward, spinning downward, dizzy, sub zero's ice puddle slip (does anyone know the animation number for this?), crumple stand (full and partial versions), crumple crouch (full and partial versions), stagger back / recover, super slash collapse, all KOF knockdown anims (knock down while standing / crouching, crash to ground, areal knock down, bounce etc), guard crushed, throw escaped / escaping, Anakaris' spinning hyper, Bishimon's Seppuku hyper, Queen B Bee stings hyper, electrocution, burnt (alt versions as well), chocked / picked up by neck, frozen in ice.   Here's a couple of the more fun ones to check out:

o2tLmt4.gif <- Crumple (huh, the angled 'tip over' frames are missing for some reason.)

3FDUT0c.gif         <- Electrocution

Lgkg9LW.gif           <-  Seppuku (there will be a lighter flicking sound)

Also all of his get hits are updated, that insane mess of clsns has finally been dealt with, and all the animations have been revamped.  New ones added as well.  Here's a couple of the fun ones:

Fh8ADgi.gif        <- Roll

8BTtk96.gif        <- Twist

@Clownman hooked it up with a link to all of Wario's sounds from shake it, I've started adding those. 
@cldz showed me how to fix that palette issue.  With that fix and all the sprites added, he's good to go.  Color separation would really kick him up a notch from here tho...

And now for some shameless soliciting:  Does anyone maybe know someone who knows someone who's good with color separation... and who would be willing to maybe color separate Wario?
:goodmood:

On 6/6/2016 at 6:35 PM, RobotMonkeyHead said:

-I'm ok with this.  What kind of adjustments would you make?

I would make Standing Hard Punch have less advantage frames than Standing Medium Punch and have Crouching Medium Punch have less advantage frames than Crouching Light Punch, I would make Crouching Medium Kick less unsafe. I was thinking of giving a Standing Medium Kick a slight increase in advantage frames too.

On another note, Max Fasosity Dasherator and Give Me Your Lunch Money have the wrong commands in the interactive movelist.

On yet another note, Purple Fireball does no damage when used in point blank range and Flaming Wario does too much damage against characters with fall.defence.up set to 0 (Because they don't want Mugen's default damage dampener along with the one they programmed in). Speaking of Flaming Wario, he disappears for a split second when recovering from it.

Interesting.  So I guess the question is would the optimal fix for that be to make it so 1) during flaming Wario, he doesn't hit opponents on the ground, or 2) if Wario hits a character on the ground, he checks their constants, and if their fall.defence.up is 0 it adjusts the damages by a factor of .5

(The fireball thing actually turned out to be a systemic problem that's going to take a little work.  Basically the fireball's helper that tells it whether or not the opponent is made of fire, ice etc, activates on the first tick of the fireballs existence, so if the fireball actually connects on it's first frame, the damage coefficient is still 0.  Should be a pretty easy fix, but I definitely have to make sure no other attacks have the same potential issue.)

pretty late and i didnt get to test extensively, however, i wanted to share the few things i noticed

-run back and forward sprites are not paletted

-not that you have to accommodate people like me who use a different res, but how his command list looks for me 

tDde9q1.png

-some 1.1 debug

hJrsYFe.png

RGb1yur.png

-Is the mid.pos based off his get hits?

R6ot1iy.png

No worries amigo, any help at all is much appreciated :)

- Palette issue fixed.
- I do actually want to accommodate as many different resolutions as I can, so if you see any more res specific errors or oddities, please do let me know.  (I plan on making a 1.0 version as well)
-Thanks for the debug catches too.  Working all those out is actually the phase I'm on at the moment.

Added some new fireballs. I have to admit I could have done a little better of a job cleaning up the gifs on these, but I just really want to see this thing done at this point.
             rXxv6yT.gif

ddEfe4u.gif

gmw84pH.gif

v0abEGR.gif

(They look better in game with a little transparency, some smoke and a few sparks, but you get the basic idea anyway.)
XlGMlGV.gif

EDIT: Also edited some Waluigi sprites into Wario's style for one of the intros.  Trying to get some Wario Man sprites together next.  Probably a Bomberman intro too, seeing as I didn't end up coding strikers.  Seemed like the Bossummon hyper sort of filled that space anyway.

EDIT 2: Trying to get my Wii emulator to dump the sounds from Wario Land Shake It so I can get his jump, dash, and walk sounds.  Apparently this requires creating a virtual sound card, homebrewing my Wii emulator, and using dspspy to dump the audio onto this virtual sound card, which I'm then hoping will produce audio files I can use?  Has anyone else done this before?

• 8 months later...

This project got set back a little bit by my hd corrupting.  But I've since reclaimed most of that lost ground.

I've had other priorities lately, but this was soooo close to finished and it's been starting to irk me a little bit to just have it hanging.
Mostly just posting to remind myself to finished it.

• 4 months later...

New beta released to testers.
:587ad4408f9df_bruce-onion.gifc200:

A hard drive crash last summer set Wario back quite a bit, but over the last few months here and there I've slowly regained the lost ground.
Now that he's back to approximately where he was before the crash, I'm releasing a really rough beta.  It's not remotely polished, expect errors, bugs glitches, it's kind of a mid-stream snapshop of his progress, rather than a semi solid phase of completeness reached where I would normally release one.  To add to the chaos, none of the new progress is logged.  But I do know quite a bit has been made since his last release, so there should be plenty of new stuff to glitch up.

Double tap taunt to bring up in-game menu.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

HOT DAMN
Ever since Great Wario by warner came out I've scourged the internet for an actually good, high quality Wario with balanced gameplay, fun combos, and accuracy to his games, and from what i've seen in this thread, this wario manages to get a 3/3. Looking forward to the official release!