Wario WIP by RobotMonkeyHead

@Clownman: Tanks!  The flexing animation I'm pretty sure is going to be a taunt.  As for the sounds, sounds great.  I'm doing all of them once I'm done coding the moves, so there's still plenty of time.  Yea nice clean rips from Shake It / Brawl would be great. :)

@AxSeeker: Intro-esting idea... maybe like a lose by time over pos or something where he's frustrated?  Still not totally sure...
Maybe I could use it to replace the 100 hand wimp slap and just have it be a knock back, sort of anti air special

Progress Update: Got the Bob-omb sprites just about finished, and ready to load. 

Figured out a mechanic for the Motorcycle special:  Charge back, forward and punch, Motorcycle rides in from off the screen behind Wario, and through clean off the other side of the screen.  Sort of a large unmanned projectile.  Wario can jump and land on the bike, and if he does he can wheelie it by pressing an attack button essentially increasing its height.  Or by pressing throw, he can hop off and pick up the motorcycle and carry it around.  He can throw it by pressing any attack button, or hop back on it by pressing throw again.  While carried it will also act as a bit of a damage shield, taking one hit to destroy.  

Also figured out a mechanic for the Bob-omb moves:  Specials - QCF punch.  QP - he sets down a bob-omb where he's standing, and it hops toward the opponent, lighting it's own fuse if it gets close enough.  MP - throws a bob-omb in a high but short arc which explodes on contact with either ground or opponent.  SP - same as medium but a long shallow arc.  Max 3 on the screen at once.  Hyper - Wario eats a bob-omb, essentially triggering the old combustion hyper where he's surround by a ball of fire. Adds 3 garlics to his meter.

new_bob_omb_animation_by_neslug.gif

I'm having a little trouble deciding between these 2 explosions....
0Njx96Q.gif

zBbWzcl.gif

hahahaa, chill Trin, it's all good, I think we're gonna make it :)

Ok, yea I have to agree.  The second one does fit the animation style more closely.  Well, 2nd one it is then. 

The first one... maybe I could use that for the motorcycle exploding? 
I don't know, it is a gorgeous animation.  I'll see if I can find something for it.

@Clownman: Tanks!  The flexing animation I'm pretty sure is going to be a taunt.  As for the sounds, sounds great.  I'm doing all of them once I'm done coding the moves, so there's still plenty of time.  Yea nice clean rips from Shake It / Brawl would be great. :)

@AxSeeker: Intro-esting idea... maybe like a lose by time over pos or something where he's frustrated?  Still not totally sure...
Maybe I could use it to replace the 100 hand wimp slap and just have it be a knock back, sort of anti air special

Progress Update: Got the Bob-omb sprites just about finished, and ready to load. 

Figured out a mechanic for the Motorcycle special:  Charge back, forward and punch, Motorcycle rides in from off the screen behind Wario, and through clean off the other side of the screen.  Sort of a large unmanned projectile.  Wario can jump and land on the bike, and if he does he can wheelie it by pressing an attack button essentially increasing its height.  Or by pressing throw, he can hop off and pick up the motorcycle and carry it around.  He can throw it by pressing any attack button, or hop back on it by pressing throw again.  While carried it will also act as a bit of a damage shield, taking one hit to destroy.  

Also figured out a mechanic for the Bob-omb moves:  Specials - QCF punch.  QP - he sets down a bob-omb where he's standing, and it hops toward the opponent, lighting it's own fuse if it gets close enough.  MP - throws a bob-omb in a high but short arc which explodes on contact with either ground or opponent.  SP - same as medium but a long shallow arc.  Max 3 on the screen at once.  Hyper - Wario eats a bob-omb, essentially triggering the old combustion hyper where he's surround by a ball of fire. Adds 3 garlics to his meter.

new_bob_omb_animation_by_neslug.gif

I'm having a little trouble deciding between these 2 explosions....
0Njx96Q.gif

zBbWzcl.gif

I'd go with the second one, personally. Just because it fits Wario's artstyle and all. For those weird shaking sprites... Why not make it some move where he basically hammers someone repeatedly onto the ground, just fixed up collision and all. (ending with some sort of pose similar to that of a heavy butt-stomp)

BTW, For the Bob-Ombs, I was going to suggest these http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/greendog/eqp4-1.gif But those also work too. :3 ((If you want these they are in EugeneQ's Peach basically.

Obviously you don't need to use the first explosion or every Wario sprite imaginable, but inspiration and great ideas sometimes pop up out of nowhere. You never know if and when you'll suddenly get a good idea for how you can incorporate these things. I would suggest you keep doing what you're doing and let inspiration flow over you. Creativity and quality is what's making Wario shine.

Good luck. Have as much fun working on Wario as we are looking at his progress! :)

I'd go with the second one, personally. Just because it fits Wario's artstyle and all. For those weird shaking sprites... Why not make it some move where he basically hammers someone repeatedly onto the ground, just fixed up collision and all. (ending with some sort of pose similar to that of a heavy butt-stomp)

BTW, For the Bob-Ombs, I was going to suggest these http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/greendog/eqp4-1.gif But those also work too. :3 ((If you want these they are in EugeneQ's Peach basically.

That's an interesting idea for the shake it sprite.  I might actually do something like that, replacing the 100-Hand Wimp Slap with it.  As for the bob-omb, I checked out those sprites, and they are decent.  Laharl also sent me a couple suggestions, but in the end I decided to go with the one posted above.  I really liked the shading on it, and I thought and the style / feel really fit with Wario.  I did wind up using that second explosion tho and it looks fucking great in action.  Can't wait to post a video preview of the bob-omb in action so you guys can see it.  I just got a little more to do on it first.

Obviously you don't need to use the first explosion or every Wario sprite imaginable, but inspiration and great ideas sometimes pop up out of nowhere. You never know if and when you'll suddenly get a good idea for how you can incorporate these things. I would suggest you keep doing what you're doing and let inspiration flow over you. Creativity and quality is what's making Wario shine.

Good luck. Have as much fun working on Wario as we are looking at his progress! :)

Yea that's pretty much how I work amigo.  I just get as many resources and ideas as I can together, and the just let the inspiration flow and do the best I can with what I got.  It's really great to have all you guys suggestions to work with to.  It just makes the spectrum of options and ideas so much greater.  It's been a blast working on him, I have to say, and most of it comes you guys comments on this thread. :)

Progress Update:
Finally, after 2 straight days of work (easily 20+ hours of coding) I got the bob-omb mechanics working.  Wario sets down a bob-omb and it blinks > turns to face the opponent > winds up 3 cranks > hops > lands > and does it again.  After 3 hops, its fuse lights, it squints, begins to glow red and after exactly 2 seconds it explodes.  1, 2, boom.  While it's hopping around it can be hit by either Wario or the opponent, and essentially knocked around the screen.  It takes the actual hit velocity from the hitdef that hits it too, so a lifter will lift it, juggernaut will send it flying etc.

All that's for the QCF quick punch.  QCF medium or strong punch will throw a bob-omb in an arc.  Medium bob-omb will not have a lit fuse, and after it lands it will carry out it's normal 3 hop cycle before exploding.  Strong will be thrown with a lit fuse. It will explode on impact with the opponent, or if it misses and lands on the ground it will carry out it it's 2 second count down, starting from the time it was thrown.

Video preview soon to come.

20+ hours of coding to get the bob-omb mechanics working sounds like it was a pretty rough and tiring thing to do. Can't wait for the video preview! 

I noticed you said that both Wario and his opponent can hit the bob-omb around the screen. Does this mean that the explosion can hurt Wario if the bob-omb explodes near him?

Ok, I know I promised a video preview of the bob-omb soon, but adding an extra hitdef into every one of his attacks has lead me on a couple of side tangents. 

I'm kicking around this idea, and I'm wondering what people think.

In the code have (easily updatable) lists of characters who aren't affected by certain moves.  E.g. Characters who are too heavy to be lifted by the Ground Pound / Butt Drop move, or characters who are too big to be thrown, or who are not affected by fire based attacks, or are not affected by the snowball attack or are not affected by the belch / fart moves, are too broke to have their lunch money stolen, or any other custom interaction you can think of.  These lists could be as long as they need to, there's no limit, and it's very easy to code.  So that's the idea...

@Trin: Yea good point Trin, I didn't even think of using the indicator anims.  I certainly will, but I'm not sure how often they're generally added to characters so I think a list of names will be needed none the less.

Also, the reason I was saying the bob-ombs took a long time wasn't just to complain (trust me, I know 20+ hours isn't shit in mugen time) but because a lot of the intuitive ways I thought I could do that were impossible due to limitations in the engine I didn't know existed.  I thought they were interesting, and instead of segueing into 'why' in that already tl;dr post, I made a separate post on the mugen help board.

I'll just touch on it quickly here in case it turns out to be helpful for someone sometime.  If a hitdef is set so affectteam = F (friendly) or B (both) rathern then E (enemy), none of the target triggers or movecontact triggers seem to work.  So there's no real way to identify the target of a hit if it's your own helper (other than having the helper use a hitoverride).  In other words, a target must be an opponent.  Maybe there's some way to get it working that I don't know about but I tried everything I could think of, including displaying the triggers directly to the clipboard.  Just thought that was an interesting "feature" of the engine that knowing in advance might save some other coders some trouble at some point.

anyway Progress Update:
The bob-ombs are almost done, still.  Their mechanics have been updated some.  Fireballs now light the bob-ombs fuse putting them directly into pre-explode squinty glowing state.  Flaming Wario hyper also lights them.   

Thanks TopKirby :)

:goodmood:

@Laharl:  As much as this means a crazy amount more work, I just realized something about the sprites I think you'll get a kick out of.  The big sprite sheet I was using at first had 256+ colors.  The aligned Wario sprites that I found later on, have about 189...  so I'm going to redo the sprites again using the original palette.  Once I get color separate him I'll remake the high contrast default palette.  But if I don't post for another week or so, it's because I'm refurbishing over 1000 sprites for the 4th time.
:donwan:

Take all the time you need, brother. Refurbishing sprites doesn't sound easy. No matter how much time you take, I'll be patiently waiting. My body is still ready :)

P.S. For the fourth time, really? Wow! You really are a hard worker.