MFFA's Ask a User Thread (Ask OxyontheWolf)

RicePigeon

SWEET! We don't even have the entire cast converted from that game yet.

Which video game, in your opinion, is the hardest for you?

Well speaking of Fighting games: Super Street Fighter II X (It is impossible for me to finish it with a single credit) and all kind of videogames, I think it would be Castlevania 3 & Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for NES, Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse for Wii or , House of the Dead 2 for Dreamcast; of course, only for me.

-I like a lot that series but I think all the characters were converted, unless that I receive requests for some char in particular; if I take that route, I would also like to continue with Fatal Fury Special and I always wanted to do characters from Kof'94

Ranma 1/2 for SNES

, etc.

Awesome! I didn't know you were into the old Ranma 1/2 series.It does need more love if you ever think about doing your on conversion for the characters on Mugen. :-)

Which leads me to ask you these questions:

What your Favorite Anime series?

Do you like other genre of video games other then Fighting?

What made you be interested in Mugen?

Awesome! I didn't know you were into the old Ranma 1/2 series.It does need more love if you ever think about doing your on conversion for the characters on Mugen. :-)

Which leads me to ask you these questions:

What your Favorite Anime series?

Do you like other genre of video games other then Fighting?

What made you be interested in Mugen?

-Uffff... there's a lot! and are divided into many genres; I couldn't say which one is my top favorite, so, I'll name some titles: Dragon Ball Series, Hokuto No Ken, Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Ore Monogatari!, Working!!, Attack On Titan, Azumanga Daioh!, Oreigaru, Tora Dora, Kagaku No Railgun, Himouto Umaru-chan, Inuyasha, Lucky Star, Suzumiya Haruhi Series, Bakuman, Boku Wa tomodachi, etc, etc, etc.

-Of course: Platformers, Beat'em up, RPG (like Shenmue), "Metroidvanias"; as you can see, Iam more a "RETRO-GAMER" like James Rolfe (AVGN).

-A "childhood dream", because I was already expecting a "Capcom vs SNK" crossover in the same era of Street Fighter II, Fatal Fury 2, Fighters Histoty, World Heroes, etc. And then, I found the legendary KOf'91 surfing on the web, and eventually I found Mugen, the rest is history.

What characters do you want to see as dlc for MKX?

-From MK Universe: Kintaro (he don't have the respect it deserves, he has too much potential to be a real Badass), Smoke/Enenrra, Skarlet, Belokk, Tasia and maybe a New Tarkatan warrior.

For guest character: Ellen Louis Ripley (from Alien), a classic version of Freddy Krueger and maybe The Joker.

-Uffff... there's a lot! and are divided into many genres; I couldn't say which one is my top favorite, so, I'll name some titles: Dragon Ball Series, Hokuto No Ken, Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Ore Monogatari!, Working!!, Attack On Titan, Azumanga Daioh!, Oreigaru, Tora Dora, Kagaku No Railgun, Himouto Umaru-chan, Inuyasha, Lucky Star, Suzumiya Haruhi Series, Bakuman, Boku Wa tomodachi, etc, etc, etc.

-Of course: Platformers, Beat'em up, RPG (like Shenmue), "Metroidvanias"; as you can see, Iam more a "RETRO-GAMER" like James Rolfe (AVGN).

-A "childhood dream", because I was already expecting a "Capcom vs SNK" crossover in the same era of Street Fighter II, Fatal Fury 2, Fighters Histoty, World Heroes, etc. And then, I found the legendary KOf'91 surfing on the web, and eventually I found Mugen, the rest is history.

Awesome! :-D

Well OMEGAPSYCHO 4 days has pass it looks like its time for you to past the torch to someone. :goodmood:

@OMEGAPSYCHO Thanks amigo!  Sounds like a good time!  It was very interesting to hear you're thoughts, and I particularly enjoy your affinity for the darker themes :)

Do you mind if I ask you one more quick question on the way out? <- Not counting that one  ;)  Did you ever get into the original Killer Instinct?  What did you think of it?

Thanks for participating, Omega!

RMH, What do you think is the hardest aspect of making a character/edit?

The hardest aspect is pushing through the repetitive parts, batch processing sprites, loading them etc.  Once that stuffs done, the creative coding part is actually fun.  

I've actually never made a character from the ground up tho.  The Wario I'm doing now began as an edit that was just so damn fun to work on that he pretty much just 'became' a completely new character over the course of about 5 months.  He's just about entirely fresh code at this point  (90% + or so), so I'm trying to answer from a stance of "knowing how to make a character.". 

The hardest aspect is pushing through the repetitive parts, batch processing sprites, loading them etc.  Once that stuffs done, the creative coding part is actually fun.  
I've actually never made a character from the ground up tho.  The Wario I'm doing now began as an edit that was just so damn fun to work on that he pretty much just 'became' a completely new character over the course of about 5 months.  He's just about entirely fresh code at this point  (90% + or so), so I'm trying to answer from a stance of "knowing how to make a character.". 

Interesting answer. :)

1. What's your opinion on the K.I. franchise? Which one do you like the most?

2. Which one of Wario's hypers are you most excited about/is your favorite so far? 

@OMEGAPSYCHO Thanks amigo!  Sounds like a good time!  It was very interesting to hear you're thoughts, and I particularly enjoy your affinity for the darker themes :)

Do you mind if I ask you one more quick question on the way out? <- Not counting that one  ;)  Did you ever get into the original Killer Instinct?  What did you think of it?

Of course! is one of my favorite fighting games of all time. I want to buy an Xbox One only for the new game. (I'm still saving money for that) and I have hope for see "Eyedol" again. (I really like Aganos and Hisako too).

And of course, some questions for you:

1.- When and where you start on the Mugen scene?

2.- Which retired mugen creators that you would like to see their return and what kind of characters do you like to see from them?

3.- Regardless of your mugen programming knowledge or graphic design skills, in other words, hypothetically speaking: What kind of complex character would you like to create for mugen?

Interesting answer. :)

1. What's your opinion on the K.I. franchise? Which one do you like the most?

2. Which one of Wario's hypers are you most excited about/is your favorite so far? 

1)   I absolutely loved the original Killer Instinct.  Some of my best arcade memories as a kid were standing around that machine with a group of like 6-8 people in a packed arcade.  The game play, the characters, the dark sort of monster like feel were all unique and beautifully executed.  Top notch in my book, I think they fucking nailed it.
   The second one was very decent.  Especially in terms of it's mechanics, but the art style / the feel of it changed in a direction I wasn't quite as fond of.  It seemed to get a bit more neon, a little less edgy, and a little more "sunny".  But I liked it still, not nearly as much as the first. 
   The new one I haven't played, tho I want to.  All I can really comment on is how it looks, and I think they did pretty good with it.  They kept it darker, sort of like the first, but the one thing I think they just barely missed (again only visually) that made the first one was the simplicity of the characters designs.  If you look at Cinder, Glacius, Sabrewulf, Riptor, Chief Thunder and Spinal to some extent, there isn't a whole lot of detail in their look.  Cinder is just made completely out of ember, Glacius out of ice, Chief thunder didn't have a ton of beads or crazy deco.  It was a bit more archetypal, which left a lot of the attention to their move sets, their stages, and the awesome music / announcer.  There was a very thin thread of underlying humor / satire that I think has been lost.  But nuance aside, the new one does look fucking awesome.

2)  Wario's hypers, I'd have to say either the Max Fastosity Dasherator, just because it's so fun to play, or the Mad Bob-omber.  The Dasherator's sweet because it's almost like a little mini-game.  He runs (controlled) back and forth until he either hits the edge of the screen or stops from sliding for too long, and all the while he's knocking the opponent into the air, trying to get in as many hits as possible while his power meter drains.  The pacing of its fun and the tension's amplified by trying to keep on eye on the constant trade off between power meter and damage dealt.
   The Mad Bob-omber one I like because he throws a bob-omb up and eats it, and you get a second or two to try to get near the opponent while he's glowing before he explodes into a ball of fire.  Once that happens, he fires about 15 bob-ombs out in random directions, all lit, and if the opponent was knocked down by the original blast, the other explosions aren't blockable because they're down.  However if the original explosion misses
, it doesn't knock them back so if they're closer to Wario they're more likely to be hit by more bob-ombs.  But they have a chance to block it.  It's an interesting trade off with massive damage potential, that's why I like it.

Of course! is one of my favorite fighting games of all time. I want to buy an Xbox One only for the new game. (I'm still saving money for that) and I have hope for see "Eyedol" again. (I really like Aganos and Hisako too).

And of course, some questions for you:

1.- When and where you start on the Mugen scene?

2.- Which retired mugen creators that you would like to see their return and what kind of characters do you like to see from them?

3.- Regardless of your mugen programming knowledge or graphic design skills, in other words, hypothetically speaking: What kind of complex character would you like to create for mugen?

Awesome :)
1. I was introduced to mugen by you-tube and started building a mugen game about 6 years ago.  It was a couple years before I actually joined a forum, which I did just to share some edits I made.  Actually the first edits I did were of your Phalanx, Contra Skeleton, Crocomire and Somulo!  Those characters were soooo fucking g
ood, but they were only for win-mugen and I just Had to find out how to get them into 1.0.  So I learned how to code just to make that happen :)  It took me quite a while, but I did it!  After that, once I knew how, I patched a couple other bugs in some of the other characters I wanted to use and thought "you know, some other people might enjoy having these as well".  So I signed up over at MFG to share them. 

2. I don't know a lot of retired creators really.  I know I'd like to see Pots, just because a lot of people idolize his style, and he had a post over at MFG that was incredibly helpful covering common mistakes people make creating characters.  From him, I'd like to see him tackle the entire Darkstalkers series, like you did with Mortal Kombat.  That would be fantastic.  ...I just really think each of the classic fighting games needs one bad ass coder to go through and make a source accurate, or at least very high quality version of each character in a single style.

There was a while were you would have been on that list, but you're back in action and doing exactly that with Mortal Kombat, which is honestly one of my original mugen dreams come true.  Another one was actually Legion.  

3.  Well I've been scheming on creating a 2D platform level template, with an actual character as a boss.  TMNT 2 The Arcade Game was going to be my choice.  There's a chance I might do that once I'm done with Wario.  I already have a lot of ideas for how to make it work, and I think as a template it could lead to a lot of interesting / awesome shit in mugen in the future.  Sergeus alien levels for example, X-Men arcade game levels with existing characters as bosses...

Aside from that, I plan to make Wario's in game moves list as a template and release it separately with instructions for how to add it into any other character.  I also made a spread sheet for comparing, contrasting, categorizing and averaging frame data over a massive number of characters that I might release at some point.  It was originally intended as a part of a intro / beginner / intermediate coding tutorial I was working on a year or 2 ago.  Along with that I have a screen pack I've been working on for about 3 years now that I'll release at some point. 

I have also considered making some Killer Instinct characters, but with all that other stuff it's probably too much at this point.  Maybe years down the road or something, who knows :)

What or who inspired your art style?

I started drawing when I was very young, and never really stopped.  Over the years I've taken a bit of influence from other artists I've know / grew up with, a little bit from H.R. Geiger, a little from Alex Grey, and a decent amount from various comic artists, including Todd McFarlane.  I used to copy panels out of Venom comics in elementary school, and little after that point took some inspiration from Darkstalkers, Samurai Shodown, and a lot of the background art in various games.  Also GWAR had a pretty big impact on my visual taste. 

Mostly tho in high school I tried to just take on as many different styles as I possibly could and become as versatile as a I could.  My recent drawings come from studying anatomy for health and nutrition sake.  I'd draw skeletons until I memorized every bone in the body, then build the meat and skin on top of that.  That turned into basic figure studies, where I'd try to do that without drawing the bones and meat, just the skin, from imagination.  A lot of the drawings I have up now are from that time frame. 

tl;dr 

hmmm... I'll try to keep future answers a bit shorter :P

Which characters have you really wanted to edit, other than the ones you're working on now?

Oh god, so many. :P 
Lobo.
Venom, to combine T.O.P.S and Eli Kings versions with a change to the commands, stance, and some of the added sprites.
Rasetsumaru, just for fun.

Space Godzilla, to make him fair.  That crystal sht?  Constant life regen? uh...
Apocalypse, to make a good playable version.
All the Terror Drome characters... oooh how I wish I had time for that.
Most of Chuchoryu's Tekken / Soul Calibur characters. 
A lot of Sergeus AVP stuff.  Nothing major, just tweaks to make them feel a little less stiff.
This one NES Ninja Gaiden that apparently had a lot of plans but wasn't finished.
NES Mega-Man to add in a pause menu that lets him scroll through all the weapons from MM1-6.
All the Mega Man 4 bosses (personal fav of the series) into a single character mini-game, using zoom to scale them up.
That Dungeons and Dragons level 1 that someone did as a stand alone game, into a mini game.

So many characters to edit, so little time...

:confuse:

I aready know that you are a loyal follower of my work but I had no idea that my work involved you in the mugen world in first place; is gratifying to know that my work was the inspiration of someone, besides, isn't that the goal of someone who seeks leave a legacy?; that makes me feel like I accomplish something, for real, thank you very much!. :bow:

31033238.jpg
And yes, I also think that POTS should have made more DarkStalkers characters; his Morrigan is so far the best out there in my opinion; totally agree with you.

NEXT QUESTIONS:

-Favorite video games?.

-Favorite topics besides videogames?.

I aready know that you are a loyal follower of my work but I had no idea that my work involved you in the mugen world in first place; is gratifying to know that my work was the inspiration of someone, besides, isn't that the goal of someone who seeks leave a legacy?; that makes me feel like I accomplish something, for real, thank you very much!. :bow:

31033238.jpg
And yes, I also think that POTS should have made more DarkStalkers characters; his Morrigan is so far the best out there in my opinion; totally agree with you.

NEXT QUESTIONS:

-Favorite video games?.

-Favorite topics besides videogames?.

Well, i's an honor to hear, and it's been a great hobby to pick up! 

uGjDN7O.png

1. Favorite video games...  trying to put them in order:
NES:  Metal Storm, hands down. Soooo good.  Battletoads Double Dragon not far behind. Mega Man 4 (the whole original series really), all the Ninja Gaidens (esp 3), Stret Fighter 2010, River City Ransom, Metroid.

Snes / Genesis: Mortal Kombat 2 (that game was practically my 3rd parent for a couple years), Street Fighter 2, Killer Instinct, Samurai Shodown 1 & 2, Might and Magic, Mario Paint, Original Mario Kart, Super Metroid.

Playstation / N64: Symphony of the Night (one of my all time / system favs), Golden Eye / Perfect Dark, Mario 64...

Last system I owned was an N64, I'm actually not a huge gamer.  Classics, really.  Never played an MMO, never played an online game, or X-box live or anything like that.  Been coding since I was about 13 (self taught in basic) so I've made plenty of games, just usually preferred that to playing them growing up.  Played newer systems at my friends houses and shit tho, Loved Tekken Tag (Lei, Howrang & Brian), Soul Calibur (Kilik & Astroth), Mortal Kombat 9, Street Fighter 4, Bio Shock...  Night Trap :)

2. Favorite Topics besides video games:  Language, art technique, music technique, philosophy, logic, ethics, religions / non-religion, psychology, sociology, political / economic theory, anatomy / nutrition (studied in Manhattan), ancient Greece, I like dabbling in physics and chemistry, and a little bit of sacred geometry... non-video game design (working on a few at the moment).  I don't know, I just love learning and creating really.  Sam Harris has been a pretty big inspiration lately, along with  Harvards Justice course on You-Tube.

What inspired you to start editing characters?

The first thing was trying to get OMEGAPSYCHO's Phalanx to work in 1.0.  Watching the You-Tube demo's of it I was like "Holy shit! There's no way I can pass that up, I have to get that thing working in my mugen somehow."  I already had quite a bit of coding experience in basic, and a little in C at that point, so Mugen code didn't look like Chinese to me or anything.  I just looked up the differences between 1.0 and winmugen, and the studied the docs, and started in on some trial and error.    Once I got that working I tackled the rest of his boss characters.  It was mostly a matter of redoing the stages in that case, so I kinda got lucky. :)

2. Favorite Topics besides video games:  Language, art technique, music technique, philosophy, logic, ethics, religions / non-religion, psychology, sociology, political / economic theory, anatomy / nutrition (studied in Manhattan), ancient Greece, I like dabbling in physics and chemistry, and a little bit of sacred geometry... non-video game design (working on a few at the moment).  I don't know, I just love learning and creating really.  Sam Harris has been a pretty big inspiration lately, along with  Harvards Justice course on You-Tube.

Wow, I'm actually taking a psychology class in college for this semester.

When editing a character, what are some common problems you come across? (Examples, misaligned sprites, debug flood, etc.)

Wow, I'm actually taking a psychology class in college for this semester.

When editing a character, what are some common problems you come across? (Examples, misaligned sprites, debug flood, etc.)

I don't know how into psych you are, but Paul Bloom (link's a fun watch) is well known in the field.   There's are some great discussions between him and Sam Harris (a neuroscientist, philosopher, and sort of atheist pundit), one about empathy, and one about "the dark side".

Common problems with characters... the most obvious common problem is horrifically placed clsn boxes.  Second is misaligned anims / sprites.  But for the coding, and this imo is by far the hugest problem: nothing is labeled.  There are no notes.  As simple as that seems, what it means is the original coder has to hold everything in their memory, and as the character progresses it just becomes more and more of a tangled knot of code.  It gets easier and easier to overlook things and mess things up.  Simultaneously it gets harder and harder to go back and integrate, fix or update things that are already "finished".  Soooo many problems in the code, bugs etc, spring directly from this one simple thing that anyone with any level of skill can do.

Have you ever considered converting older characters to newer versions of MUGEN?

Which edit of yours are you the most proud of?

I have considered it yes, but don't have any in the works.  That's usually incredibly easy to do as well.  Just a few lines of code need updating from deprecated parameters or something. 

Edit's I'm most proud of: Spawn and Duke Nukem.  Those got the most amount of work, and they're really where I figured out the ins and outs of coding characters.

I don't know how into psych you are, but Paul Bloom (link's a fun watch) is well known in the field.   There's are some great discussions between him and Sam Harris (a neuroscientist, philosopher, and sort of atheist pundit), one about empathy, and one about "the dark side".

Common problems with characters... the most obvious common problem is horrifically placed clsn boxes.  Second is misaligned anims / sprites.  But for the coding, and this imo is by far the hugest problem: nothing is labeled.  There are no notes.  As simple as that seems, what it means is the original coder has to hold everything in their memory, and as the character progresses it just becomes more and more of a tangled knot of code.  It gets easier and easier to overlook things and mess things up.  Simultaneously it gets harder and harder to go back and integrate, fix or update things that are already "finished".  Soooo many problems in the code, bugs etc, spring directly from this one simple thing that anyone with any level of skill can do.

I have considered it yes, but don't have any in the works.  That's usually incredibly easy to do as well.  Just a few lines of code need updating from deprecated parameters or something. 

Edit's I'm most proud of: Spawn and Duke Nukem.  Those got the most amount of work, and they're really where I figured out the ins and outs of coding characters.

Thanks for the psych resources! I might check it out when I have some free time :)

I also love your Duke and Spawn. They're in my rosters currently.

1. Do you like robots more or monkeys more?

2. Favorite dessert?

Thanks for the psych resources! I might check it out when I have some free time :)

I also love your Duke and Spawn. They're in my rosters currently.

1. Do you like robots more or monkeys more?

2. Favorite dessert?

It's rewarding to know people actually use my edits, I always wonder about that :)

1.  hmm.. I'm gonna have to go with monkeys.  Where robots do have the potential to make human life easier, I tend to think the cost of technological advance is usually our own nature, ...and possibly future.

2. Strawberry rhubarb pie.  But icebox cake is a close second :P

1. Why the username "RobotMonkeyHead?"

2. Which character was harder for you to edit: Spawn or Duke Nukem?

1.  On the surface, it's a description of my (or the readers') computer.  Essentially "robot brain".  The "monkey" part is an unnecessary jab at creationism: "Wut? People come from monkeys!?! I'll believe in evolution when I see a monkey give birth to a human, damn it!" <- 62% of my country actually thinks that.
     It's also a bit of a dig at the other end of the prophetic spectrum where you have the idea of computers replacing the human mind as part of what some people see (mistakenly, I believe) as the next step in our evolution.   In short, RobotMonkeyHead is basically meant to translates to "what you're reading now is being said by a monkey brain that's evolved to the point of mechanical (non-living), i.e. our computers."

2.  Duke, for sure.  There were a lot of bugs in his code, and a Lot of fixing that needed to be done. Plus his animations and clsns were pretty poorly aligned.   I was joking about putting him through rehab on his wip thread.  Spawn was a pleasure to work on, comparatively.  His code was extremely well organized and labeled.  I was able to align all his animations (mostly to hold foot position), add in some extra stuff and tweak his existing moves with little to no trouble.