Sauron From Primal Rage Released

Skorp Vybez

Ha, you think THAT looks like Diablo? Wait until you get a look at at his start+x and start+y colors. On Arik they're literally Diablo's first and second palette from PR1, I tried to differentiate them slightly as to avoid a yellow sub-zero situation, but, eh, whatever.

Anwyas, here's the "finished" version: https://www.mediafire.com/?g3fo6moke1ox153

I'm not done yet, of course, but all of the stuff is technically there. All the normal, special, and hyper attacks, plus intro, win, lose, and taunt, basically everything is in place to work as a functional character. But he's not really done yet. Things I still need to do:

- no blood yet, so that's probably pretty important

- cleaning up the code, getting rid of copypasted things that are vestigal, making it all just look nicer and not like a crazy Frankenstein creation, etc.

- tweaking the velocity stuff, some of the air moves have weird arcs, you can still attack after a Cranium Crusher, stuff like that

- intro needs to have him walk over to the corpse of the opponent, which thanks to Lord Sinistro I think I know how to do now

Then there's the bonus stuff, which would be people eating. If I'm going to add this functionality it should be 100% compatible with LS's other PR worshippers, so you can eat Hexia and Vertigo can eat Tothus, etc. Theoretically, I think this is just a matter of creating helpers with hitboxes, give them an ID or something so that only the chomp moves can hit them. I could probably figure it out.

Anwyas, that likely won't come until later because I'm going to be editing all the other PR characters to maintain consistency. I'm probably going to have to skip Vertigo since I can't figure out a way to make her shrinking spell and jump into Diablo. I've also been making stages based on my psx rips. They're... okay, Cove and Tomb are done so far. All this means that I'm eventually going to have to start a new thread for Mal's PR stuff pretty soon, once I get something releasable outside the scope of Sauron.

I think I'll hold off on Armadon until after Sauron, Diablo, and a third secret character I've got up my sleeve are in releasable forms. But, yeah, kinda getting to the end of this thread here.

Anwyas, THANK YOU SO MUCH to to Skorpo for putting together all these sprites, getting the animations together, fixing the palette, and basically just getting the whole skeleton in place here. I definitely would have never bothered with Sauron at all if you hadn't already done the gruntwork. Also huge thanks to Lord Sinistro who basically wrote the book on PR characters and I, again, wouldn't have even tried if I didn't have his shoulder to stand on. This is all stuff for the readme, yeah, but I figured I'd gush here just to cover my bases, as it were.

You are greatly welcome and THANK YOU! for taking this char under your wing and finishing him out without you Sauron would of just been a plain old Alpha release & if you ever need anything just message me and let me know.

P.S. have you thought about giving Sauron a special intro when he fights the other Primal Rage dinos?

Ha, you think THAT looks like Diablo? Wait until you get a look at at his start+x and start+y colors. On Arik they're literally Diablo's first and second palette from PR1, I tried to differentiate them slightly as to avoid a yellow sub-zero situation, but, eh, whatever.

Anwyas, here's the "finished" version: https://www.mediafire.com/?g3fo6moke1ox153

I'm not done yet, of course, but all of the stuff is technically there. All the normal, special, and hyper attacks, plus intro, win, lose, and taunt, basically everything is in place to work as a functional character. But he's not really done yet. Things I still need to do:

- no blood yet, so that's probably pretty important

- cleaning up the code, getting rid of copypasted things that are vestigal, making it all just look nicer and not like a crazy Frankenstein creation, etc.

- tweaking the velocity stuff, some of the air moves have weird arcs, you can still attack after a Cranium Crusher, stuff like that

- intro needs to have him walk over to the corpse of the opponent, which thanks to Lord Sinistro I think I know how to do now

Then there's the bonus stuff, which would be people eating. If I'm going to add this functionality it should be 100% compatible with LS's other PR worshippers, so you can eat Hexia and Vertigo can eat Tothus, etc. Theoretically, I think this is just a matter of creating helpers with hitboxes, give them an ID or something so that only the chomp moves can hit them. I could probably figure it out.

Anwyas, that likely won't come until later because I'm going to be editing all the other PR characters to maintain consistency. I'm probably going to have to skip Vertigo since I can't figure out a way to make her shrinking spell and jump into Diablo. I've also been making stages based on my psx rips. They're... okay, Cove and Tomb are done so far. All this means that I'm eventually going to have to start a new thread for Mal's PR stuff pretty soon, once I get something releasable outside the scope of Sauron.

I think I'll hold off on Armadon until after Sauron, Diablo, and a third secret character I've got up my sleeve are in releasable forms. But, yeah, kinda getting to the end of this thread here.

Anwyas, THANK YOU SO MUCH to to Skorpo for putting together all these sprites, getting the animations together, fixing the palette, and basically just getting the whole skeleton in place here. I definitely would have never bothered with Sauron at all if you hadn't already done the gruntwork. Also huge thanks to Lord Sinistro who basically wrote the book on PR characters and I, again, wouldn't have even tried if I didn't have his shoulder to stand on. This is all stuff for the readme, yeah, but I figured I'd gush here just to cover my bases, as it were.

So i found an annoying bug that i can't seem to fix it happens when he hits one of his hypers. It turns the whole screen purple. Here are the images of the bug:

mugen001_zpsusmeoxsf.png

mugen000_zpsigrw8gdr.png

So i found an annoying bug that i can't seem to fix it happens when he hits one of his hypers. It turns the whole screen purple. Here are the images of the bug:

What? Why? The hell? No, it did that to me and then I realized I was using the wrong state controller. I used EnvColor and it turned EVERYTHING fuschia, and you couldn't see anything. So I double checked the wiki and it turned out I needed to use BGPalFX, which works.

...oh good lord, yeah for some reason the Sauron (3) file I uploaded has the EnvColor controller. Yikes, that's really weird. Well I uploaded the working one here: https://www.mediafire.com/?a4bk6w06d6bv1jw Really sorry about that. It's weird because I actually solved that problem really quickly, which means I must have just... not tested "voice of god" before zipping it up and uploading it. Oh well, I'll be more careful next time.

By the way, Armadon's icon in that screenshot is really weird looking. :/

Green you are greatly welcome and THANK YOU! for taking this char under your wing and finishing him out without you Sauron would of just been a plain ol Alpha release & if you ever need anything just message me and let me know.

P.S. have you thought about giving Sauron a special intro when he fights the other Primal Rage dinos?

Green? Is that me? @_@

No, I haven't. I'm heavily restricted by the sprites I have access to. Again, if I could just get my grimy little paws on the PR2 sprites in that damned .chd file, then I could give Diablo his "face burner" throw, make Sauron scratch his ear, and add in those cool hyper attacks, among other things. As far as intros go it's really all you can do to make their roars look fancy. I actually happen to really like The None's Blizzard and Chaos intros, but I'm trying to stay on-model here. There's probably not anyone better equipped to write MKX-style character specific intro dialogue than me, but... you know, there's not much I can do there. Even Lord Sinistro just, uh, had them roaring and the PR title screen pop up, which is honestly pretty boring and annoying to me. I'm really not putting much thought into the intros, really, I usually just skip them anwyas.

So, uh, no update on Sauron, because I haven't touched him since the version I just uploaded. I've been working on Diablo, trying to create a more standardized, stripped down template I can drop the other characters into, trying to keep everything organized and all that. I THOUGHT that Sinistro had Diablo in the bag and I'd have to do something dramatic to justify releasing an edit, but... ya' know, not so much. Turns out Sinistro never actually finished Pulverizer. I guess I never noticed because I don't use that move that much, but all he does is jump on their heads and pop off like Brain Basher or something. I fixed this, including adding the missing sprites and all that, but I'm having some issues. Namely, that the opponent GETS UP after the first stomp, and can just walk away, meaning it only does 25 damage. I do not understand what's causing this, and I've been fussing with it basically all day.

The other problem with Diablo is that now that I've given him the ability to Inferno Flash in mid air, the AI sometimes gets stuck in an unhitable state constantly turning back and forth. I think this might be caused by having four players, but idunno. I sure as hell didn't want to have to mess with the AI coding, but it looks like I'll have to at some point.

I wanted to make a straight up 2.3 as-faithful-as-possible version, but I'm having a really hard time with the commands. "/a, /x, D, DF, ~F" doesn't work. It just doesn't work. At all. Unless anyone actually knows how to write the code to make 1+3 D, T work, I'll probably just abandon this idea. I have, however, made a fully "Smashified" Game Boy/Game Gear version, a two-button character that only have the abilities that Diablo had in the handheld ports, and the palettes are your grayscale and green Game Boy colors, and the two Game Gear colors. I think he's kinda adorable, really, if I could just get the computer to stop spinning around in mid air it'd be great. :/

So, other than these bugs everything's kinda done with Diablo, and the blood really isn't quite the in-depth system of levers and pulleys I thought it was, it's basically just Explods. So soon I'll start applying all this stuff to Sauron. Hopefully I'll get past those two and start working on my secret third character after about two or three days, since that's more or less the speed I've been going at.

Anwyas, here's some fun things:

xKneTWH.gif"Game Boy Green" Diablo pulverizing the air/moshing/pretending to be Titanosaurus

M8VXkSM.gifDiablo with Sinjin's colors using Sauron's move. I'm actually using it as a stand in for Sinjin's rising, flaming axe attack which replaces the rather obnoxious combo thing Sinistro had for one of Diablo's hypers.

Haha nah i'm sorry i accidentally forgot to complete the color code in the text so it said Green LOL but i love what you are doing so far great work.

So this .chd file you keep talking about how can it be acquired? cause if you want i can just download the PR2 game from a rom and try to rip the sprites

Haha nah i'm sorry i accidentally forgot to complete the color code in the text so it said Green LOL but i love what you are doing so far great work.

So this .chd file you keep talking about how can it be acquired? cause if you want i can just download the PR2 game from a rom and try to rip the sprites

Oh ok. The PR2 rom is in two files: the zip file which is what you're going to find when you search for "Primal Rage II rom," and the hard drive file, the .chd, which is where all of the actual game is. The sprites, sounds, music, and all the rest are in that compressed file, and the game pulls information out that hard drive as needed while it's running. You can think of it sort of like mugen if you want, the assets aren't hard coded into the .exe or anything, they're all laid out in a specific place on your hard drive, and the configuration files tell the game where to get all of it's assets from your drive.

Uncompressed, this information is a couple of gig, although I forget how much exactly. Gruntzilla and... uh, the other one, I forgot their name, have found out how to uncompress this file and get a look at the raw data for the sound, music, sprites, and even some of the AI commands. This is kind of a big deal. There's plenty of videos up about all of this, and Gruntzilla has the whole PR2 soundtrack ripped (it's okay, definitely a far cry from the original game's style and quality though, way too heavy on annoying 80's licks than the mysterious, tribal mood of the first game. Think about the difference between the MKII and MK3 ost).

The other guy, green... something... however, the ONLY person on the planet who has figured out how to view the sprites, has released nothing, and has no plans to, and has been extremely uncooperative when I asked him about getting this stuff out there. The main problem seems to be that there's not an automated process for converting this data into some kind of image file that can be manipulated or uploaded easily. Of course for me this wouldn't be a problem, I'd just "print screen" and crop every single frame if I had too, because as I probably mentioned before, this is PR2 we're talking about here and we don't have the luxury of being lazy because no one's going to do it if I don't. I haven't bothered checking back with what's going on with that guy, because willfully sitting on the holy grail and being a dick about it doesn't exactly make me feel like being reasonable.

If I was going to figure it out on my own (which, and let's be clear here, I can't) I'd at least need to extract the raw data from the .chd file and I don't even know where to start looking for that kind of info. Just searching the internet didn't give me anything I could understand, so I'm either not doing it right or don't know what I'm looking at. Either way it's a dead end. It's the most I can do to make a "Mesozoic Wars Slashfang" which approximates his moves, but with Rex sprites, and make the hyper attacks roughly resemble those of the avatars.

at last the original cast is all mugenized one, thank you for the release, do you plan on working any other PR characters?

Cool, thanks for reading the thread.

The entire cast isn't mugenized. Sauron and Armadon are still unfinished, although I don't know what state Armadon is in to be honest, I've only just heard bad things about him. On top of that, Blizzard and Chaos are - sorry, but it's true - AWFUL. All of the sounds are wrong, the AI is worse than Omega Tiger Woods, the hyper moves are completely ridiculous and way too cheap, and on the whole they only just barely resemble the actual Blizzard and Chaos in the most vague form. The only good PR characters are, to this day, the three Lord Sinistro made.

Since I rather recently discovered that there really just isn't anyone else who cares about Primal Rage as much as I do, I realized that the situation is something like this: if I don't do it myself, it's never going to happen. And that's kinda just the rule. So, if it's going to be up to me and only me to get these guys in mugen, then I better just go ahead and do it all. So I'm going to be making the entire PR1 cast as well as two additional "fanon" characters, with "Primal Rage 1.5" abilities and controls, all standardized and worked out as best as I can so that you don't run into those weird situations where MK ninjas made by different authors have wildly different scales and sounds and effects and it's all just a disjointed mess.

I'm also making "Smashified" Game Boy/Gear versions of the six characters that were in those ports, and I'd LIKE to make a more authentic 2.3 version too, but the command coding doesn't actually work, and I have no clue what I'm doing wrong, so for the moment I'm ignoring this.

My plan is to make a release thread, since this is still technically just about Sauron, once I get the three Rexes done, or at least mostly done. Then I'll just update that thread as I put more characters and stages out.

In the meantime, today I'm going to start retroactively applying the edits/formatting I did to Diablo on Sauron, which probably won't take that long. I'd like to start on the third "secret" character by tomorrow, but we'll see.

To be fair tho, Blizzard and Chaos were made by The_None and all his shit is zanny as fuck.  Expecting a source accurate character out of him would be like (weird analogy is supposed to be appropriate) getting a veggie burger and expecting it to resemble an actual cheeseburger in any way shape or form.  I mean it's nice to have playable characters that have the names Blizzard and Chaos and use the sprites and sounds and all, just for roster sake, but yeah, source accurate, no.  Armadon looked like a very decent start tho.  Does anyone know if he's still being worked on?

As for those .CHD files, yea that was around 94 or so when arcade games started coming with their own hard drives inside them.  I wonder if whatever decryption method they're using for PR2 can be used on other .chd files...

I take it this is the youtube vid you're talking about:

EDIT:

Ok, really, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm going to throw in my two sense here anyway in case it turns out to be helpful.  By the look of that video, it's possible to turn a .chd file into an .img (<-check the 'overview' section) file using chdman.  The problem from there is that you have to identify the file system in order to get any data out of it.  Apparently there are programs that do that, like disktype for example.  So would it be possible using a combination of chdman and disktype to identify the file system used in the chd file and then decompress / access it?

To be fair tho, Blizzard and Chaos were made by The_None and all his shit is zanny as fuck.  Expecting a source accurate character out of him would be like (weird analogy is supposed to be appropriate) getting a veggie burger and expecting it to resemble an actual cheeseburger in any way shape or form.  I mean it's nice to have playable characters that have the names Blizzard and Chaos and use the sprites and sounds and all, just for roster sake, but yeah, source accurate, no.  Armadon looked like a very decent start tho.  Does anyone know if he's still being worked on?

Then he shouldn't have made them in the first place. It's one thing to make a bonus, crazy version of a character that's been done a dozen times before, but there are NO other Blizzards or Chaoseses (or Shanks). It's disrespectful at the least, spiteful at the worst. And the more I look at the code compared to what's going on in Sinsitro's characters, the more obscene and ridiculous the whole thing looks. Honestly, the best thing about those characters is Blizzard's punching bag meter, which is extremely helpful. Also, I don't know who "The_None" is, I've never met them, and I don't expect anything of them. What I do expect is for a character named "Chaos" to not quote retsupurae videos at me, and that's not too much to expect, honestly.

I'll still end up using some of them, like the sprites, probably, but most of that stuff is going to have to get gutted.

What's the deal with Armadon? What's he like? About how much is done there? And what's the name of the guy who was working on him? Do they ever pop up on this forum?

As for those .CHD files, yea that was around 94 or so when arcade games started coming with their own hard drives inside them.  I wonder if whatever decryption method they're using for PR2 can be used on other .chd files...

PR2 is from '96, the first game was from '94. It was made with modified PSX hardware, from what I understand. I also think they'd figured that the problems with emulation is because of issues emulating the hard drive, and I don't think Primal Rage II is alone in this either.

WOAH! What the hell is that? Where'd you find that thing? Does it work? Man, I gotta try that. I'm not sure what video you're referencing though. I mentioned Gruntzilla and that... greenguy's youtube channels, but that's neither of them, nor does it have anything to do directly with Primal Rage II. I'm definitely bookmarking that video, though. I don't really have the time to mess with that right now, but hopefully it'll open up some doors.

Speaking of time, because of a weird problem with Sauron where his palettes don't seem to work correctly (it doesn't read them from the def file like every other character, you have to manually insert every palette manually into the sff file), as well as some general numbering oddities and clean-up stuff, I decided to just remake his whole sff file from scratch. It seemed to be working okay, especially after I found the menu option to import sprites directly from another project, but that problem hasn't gone away yet, and I don't understand why. I created this thing brand new and it's still having problems.

I think the issue has to do with something about which version it is. When I was originally looking up this problem I found that it only happened to people making 1.1 characters, and that this was just a thing 1.1 characters were supposed to do. So I "saved as" to turn it into a 1.0, but the difference was that manually adding palettes to the sff file worked, as opposed to nothing working at all. Now the issue is I can't get it to do what the def file tells it too and read the act files. There's a work around for this, obviously, if you've checked out my "Beta Sauron," but good lord this is NOT how mugen characters are supposed to work and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. And, as I've very quickly learned, this is going to just be how things are unless I figure it out myself.

Anwyas, my point is that technology is evil black magic, I don't trust it, and nothing I ever do works because I'm cursed and the technocracy hates me.

...idunno, I guess I'll just keep working on Sauron even with this stupid, terrible bug that won't go away no matter how many goats I sacrifice. This will probably end up taking way longer than I thought, though, which leads me to my next question: should I make a W.I.P. thread or something? I mean I'm back to Sauron now, but these broadly overlapping subforums confuse me. I don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing half the time, like there's request section where you aren't supposed to make requests.

I use Vertigo and Talon regularly and they are pretty bad ass!  I hope a Sauron & Armadon like them gets made.  Fairly tough AI and fluid movement.  :3

"Fairly Tough?" Talon is just as bad as he is in the original: a cheap, jerkwad scumbag. Vertigo is fair, and Diablo got a boost but he's not awful like SOME character's A.I.'s are. On the whole though, and I'm including Sinistro's MK1 Scorpion too, the AI on those guy are... reasonable. I suppose if I studied what he was doing enough I could learn to make AI that good, but I'm not much of a robot-brain-programmer. It's kinda just not on my list at all, other than getting Diablo's AI to stop glitching out after an Inferno Flash (something I cannot do by using the move myself, meaning there's nothing wrong with the move, it's all in the AI).

As I've mentioned before, I'd really like to do Armadon, since I'm planning on doing all of them anyhow. Armadon became my third favroite character as I slowly grew to hate Talon and became obsessed with Spinning Death and Bed O' Nails. I, again, really picked out Sauron because I was under the impression he was more complete than Armadon, but from what I've heard in this thread I'm starting to think that's not the case. What's more, it would be pretty awesome to find out the guy is still working on ol' Spike, which I hadn't even considered.

Of course Vertigo is the one true queen, though, and I'd drop everything to work on her if I could figure out how to code a shrinking spell a la Malyssa's Hypnotic Gaze (or Shank's shrink bombs), since that's really the only thing I need to add.

...idunno, I guess I'll just keep working on Sauron even with this stupid, terrible bug that won't go away no matter how many goats I sacrifice.

hahahaha VirtualTek did release an update of FF3 very recently that corrected a few problems.  If you haven't checked it out, it might be worth a shot.

EDIT:

Ok, really, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm going to throw in my two sense here anyway in case it turns out to be helpful.  By the look of that video, it's possible to turn a .chd file into an .img (<-check the 'overview' section) file using chdman.  The problem from there is that you have to identify the file system in order to get any data out of it.  Apparently there are programs that do that, like disktype for example.  So would it be possible using a combination of chdman and disktype to identify the file system used in the chd file and then decompress / access it?

If you know The_None then you should've known it wasn't going to be accurate, he made it how he wanted and that's it, don't go bashing other people's works just because they didn't make it how you wanted to be made, stick to the projects thread

Yea I was pretty happy with that Armadon.  Not perfect by any stretch, but decent.

hahahah also as for The_None... let me see how to put this... he's pretty notorious in the mugen community, I'd say many if not most people who frequent mugen forums know his work, and they know it for being sorta off the wall wacky as fuck or just downright weird, usually with a brilliant sense of humor infused, but with solid programming behind it, for as weird as it is.

Here's a link to his other characters.  If you're not expecting anything source accurate and just looking for some solid fun characters, they're def worth checkin out. http://www.justnopoint.com/lbends/index.php?location=chars&page=0

TMC55, on 22 Apr 2015 - 2:24 PM, said:snapback.png

If you know The_None then you should've known it wasn't going to be accurate, he made it how he wanted and that's it, don't go bashing other people's works just because they didn't make it how you wanted to be made, stick to the projects thread

Yea that's exactly what I'm saying.  Why are you telling me to stick to the projects thread?

So I spent maybe half an hour tearing this post to pieces, as a culmination of my ever growing frustration of this "playing a freeware fighting game engine entitles me to be an enormous prick" nonsense as it pertains to exclusion of both people and information, and how this attitude is PRECISELY the reason for the earlier comments in this thread complaining about why the only characters anyone ever sees are umpteen bajillion overpowered Street Fighter edits, but theeeeeeeeen...

Here is that guys Armadon you was talking about

http://mugenmultiverse.fanbb.net/t5806-primal-rage-armadon

i downloaded him and he is decent he plays the same as Sauron does just a slightly better AI

Almost as an afterthought I checked out this link. I only watched the video, but wow did the anger and frustration evaporate quickly. This is cool, and recent too! This guy is still working on ol' Spike, and that just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

So I haven't touched Sauron since I last posted, and I haven't even really tested that ff3 update to see if it makes a difference, and the reason for this is, like I said earlier, I've been getting increasingly frustrated by this inexplicable "boy's club" mentality that's harming both my patience for mugen as well as my ability to actually code anything, since I'm not getting any answers from anyone. There are a limited number of reliable resources for this thing online, and not everyone is making the same character/abilities/helpers/whatever that you are, and at some point you kinda just have to cave and ask for help. But, of course, this is the skull n' mugen society, and baka gaijin aren't allowed to know things.

Seeing this basically finished Armadon (wait... is it actually finished?) has calmed me down considerably, but I still don't have a lot of enthusiasm for this at the moment. I was considering just dumping this forum altogether and, if I ever do finish any of this, releasing it on my blog or something, but at the moment I'll just say that I would very much like to continue working on Sauron, as well as the anything else PR related, but I need to back off for a little while.

i don't think it's helping that Sauron is like my 5th choice to begin with, not counting the PR2 characters, in which case he's maybe the... gosh, 10th choice or something. Probably way lower if you account for the "Mega" characters.

I'll still put some time in it, though. I might not worry about uploading any updates though, so I might just disappear until I have actual finished stuff to release in its own thread. I'll try and check back here, but if anyone has real criticism of my Sauron or the like, and I'm not responding here or via PM, you could always just get on your computer and e-mal me, Mal, at [email protected]. But in the future, expect progress from me to come at a much slower pace, and Sauron to not necessarily be my top priority.

As cool as it is knowing that I'm not completely alone in working on mugenizing PR... you know, one of you guys could pick up Sauron or w/e too if you wanted... nothing's stopping you... and wouldn't it be awesome if there were THREE people working on it? Wowzerz, imagine the possibilities!

EDIT:

That all sounds reasonable to me. You sort of have to assume on default that the reason something or another hasn't been done in regards to PR isn't because it's difficult or the tools aren't out there, but just because no one's done it yet. My experience with the extremely lackadaisical uploaders of those PR2 hard drive assets videos more or less proves this. However, once you get the image file, there is that even with the data (I know Gruntzilla viewed it with a hex editor) it's still up in the air about whether or not it's even in a format you can do anything with. The green guy apparently wrote some sort of custom program to view the sprites, I think, at most, maybe chdman + disktype could get us the sound effects?

It's really just not a thing I know much about. If a problem can't be solved with arcane magic or blunt objects, then I'm at a loss. I'm not John Carmack, you know. I will certainly try these things myself sometime soon, but I fully expect to come up against another wall. I think it's really just going to come down to whether or not I take up a lot of my time learning advanced coding, which, unfortunately, I simply don't have the time for. It's not wise to depend on me for anything computer-y, yet time and again it always ends up being just me who cares enough to get it done, I just don't have the skills. Isn't there like ONE other person who loves Rage as much as me who actually knows what they're doing? Like ONE person? C'mon, it's a pretty big world out there, there's gotta be someone, right?

p.s. In the future, TMC55, please don't shit up the thread with completely off-topic posts digging at other members whose posts you never actually read/understood for stating their opinion. In short, you would do well to follow your own "advice." I'm here of my own volition because I want to contribute something to this thread, forum, and community, not because I want to gossip out of school about people I don't know or things I've never said. If you can't respect that, and have nothing else to add about the development of Sauron, then please don't bother. This is the last time I'm going to acknowledge this line of conversation in the thread.

Some very quick feedback...

Really nice to see some Primal Rage chars.

- please a readme with his move set

- I can have more then one projectile on screen (source accurate?)

- win animation (Sauron lifts his leg) doesn´t look good the way it is now. If I remeber correct, Sauron steps on his defeated opponent.

- you mixed HK & HP animation... Punches are bites & Kicks are tail swipes, so HP should be the HK animation you have now and vice versa

- give him more fitting sounds, p.e. there is no jump & jump landing sound, no sound for lose animation/time over

use "The_None" sounds for his Blizzard (p.e. his hit sounds or jump/jump landing sounds), take a look at the screen shake he used for Blizzard after his jump landing

Keep up your work.

So I spent maybe half an hour tearing this post to pieces, as a culmination of my ever growing frustration of this "playing a freeware fighting game engine entitles me to be an enormous prick" nonsense as it pertains to exclusion of both people and information, and how this attitude is PRECISELY the reason for the earlier comments in this thread complaining about why the only characters anyone ever sees are umpteen bajillion overpowered Street Fighter edits, but theeeeeeeeen...

Man, I can't even tell you how many times I've written a 3 chapter response to someone who's being a blatant dick (and is probably prepared to say something like "What?! I'm just acting edgy like everyone else, grow a thicker skin pussy!") and then just been like...ehh...nah.. and copied and pasted it into a text file where I keep that kind of thing.  This one didn't even bother me, but what does bother me is exactly what you pointed out right here, and how true it is:

So I haven't touched Sauron since I last posted, and I haven't even really tested that ff3 update to see if it makes a difference, and the reason for this is, like I said earlier, I've been getting increasingly frustrated by this inexplicable "boy's club" mentality that's harming both my patience for mugen as well as my ability to actually code anything,

It was apparently Way worse back in the day.  You couldn't use anything by anyone else at all without being reamed as a thief... like Ryu was their personal creation or something. 

Now it's pretty much just that a few people are straight assholes for the same reason kindergarteners are, and just like in preschool those kids form shitty little "in cliques" and wreck the hell out of the experience for other people for fun.  If you could add up the damage they've done to the community, the creative people they've driven off... pfff ...I'll just say I'll bet there would be a Lot more characters, stages, etc and a much more encouraging place that people actually wanted to be a part of.

I could give you a list of people to watch out for, but it's better if you make up your own mind.  All I'll say is that Most people in the community aren't dick wads, but there are some Major exceptions, so plan accordingly.  It would be unfair to let them represent the community at large to you tho. 

(TMC55 This is not directed at you, as far as I know, I'm talking about the real assholes who I won't even bother mentioning.)

I was considering just dumping this forum altogether and, if I ever do finish any of this, releasing it on my blog or something, but at the moment I'll just say that I would very much like to continue working on Sauron, as well as the anything else PR related, but I need to back off for a little while.

Like I said Most of the community is pretty chill, it's just those exceptional assholes tend to stand out.  Don't let them define it for you.  Just try to focus on the people you enjoy, and remember all of the awesome mugen stuff you got came from people who did it for free for the community, right down to the engine itself.  Keep the good part of it alive, it's worth it.  There's plenty of cool ass mo-fuggas around here.

i don't think it's helping that Sauron is like my 5th choice to begin with, not counting the PR2 characters, in which case he's maybe the... gosh, 10th choice or something. Probably way lower if you account for the "Mega" characters.

Yea I hear some people work on two characters at once so they don't get burnt out on one.  Might help?  Something I like to do is put on an audiobook in the bg or some music while I'm coding just for extra stimulation.  Any help you need tho, just post questions on your wip thread, and people following it will usually try to help.

I'll still put some time in it, though. I might not worry about uploading any updates though, so I might just disappear until I have actual finished stuff to release in its own thread. I'll try and check back here, but if anyone has real criticism of my Sauron or the like, and I'm not responding here or via PM, you could always just get on your computer and e-mal me, Mal, at [email protected]. But in the future, expect progress from me to come at a much slower pace, and Sauron to not necessarily be my top priority.

Right on, as much as it is fun to see all the little updates as the character develops, and to give feedback and all, it's respectable to want to finish something.  My only concern is that it might be easier to get burnt out that way.  Sometimes the support of the community can drive you, just like the assholes can drive you away if you let them.

As cool as it is knowing that I'm not completely alone in working on mugenizing PR... you know, one of you guys could pick up Sauron or w/e too if you wanted... nothing's stopping you... and wouldn't it be awesome if there were THREE people working on it? Wowzerz, imagine the possibilities!

I might be willing to do a little work on him. My strength tends to be in polishing the details, but I can code to some degree. I'm certainly no expert, but yea if you're down I'd be happy to lend a hand.  Let's talk more about this...

That all sounds reasonable to me. You sort of have to assume on default that the reason something or another hasn't been done in regards to PR isn't because it's difficult or the tools aren't out there, but just because no one's done it yet. My experience with the extremely lackadaisical uploaders of those PR2 hard drive assets videos more or less proves this. However, once you get the image file, there is that even with the data (I know Gruntzilla viewed it with a hex editor) it's still up in the air about whether or not it's even in a format you can do anything with. The green guy apparently wrote some sort of custom program to view the sprites, I think, at most, maybe chdman + disktype could get us the sound effects?

It's really just not a thing I know much about. If a problem can't be solved with arcane magic or blunt objects, then I'm at a loss. I'm not John Carmack, you know. I will certainly try these things myself sometime soon, but I fully expect to come up against another wall. I think it's really just going to come down to whether or not I take up a lot of my time learning advanced coding, which, unfortunately, I simply don't have the time for. It's not wise to depend on me for anything computer-y, yet time and again it always ends up being just me who cares enough to get it done, I just don't have the skills. Isn't there like ONE other person who loves Rage as much as me who actually knows what they're doing? Like ONE person? C'mon, it's a pretty big world out there, there's gotta be someone, right?

Could you link me to the forum where Gruntzilla and whoever are doing their work please?  I spent all day fucking around with the Killer Instinct CHD file, and I got it dumped to a raw hard disk image, and I found out the processor used, the language its coded in, the system it was likely built on and a program that I think can emulate the original operating system.  My hope is that I can recreate the environment the hard disk was made in and actually access it completely.  I want to see if that forum can help.  If I can do it with KI I might be able to do it with PR2. 

By the way, in case you haven't seen them there are a ton of primal rage 2 videos on youtube.  I didn't know they existed until today, but something tells me you've long since been there.