Standard Portraits

mAdLaX

if you don't mind though mind sharing tips on making ports? I've got a hold of Photoshop as of recent and i wonder if i could make better result compared to what i've done with gimp.

Does gimp do image layering? I use 3 image layers on making portraits similar in doing RGB.

Well there's layer feature in gimp but...i never heard of this method to make portraits. Enlighten me.

This is how I do it in Photoshop:

1.) Pick any image that you want to use as a Mugen Portrait, make sure it is a png type. (I use Ryunmei as an example) And of course I remove the background of the image manually using a normal eraser. It's up to you if you add an outline edges on the character or not, for me it looks better with outline.

ezBdFDE.png The Original with [blending Mode = Normal]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Layer Options:

wbdgHj8.png Encircled in Red is the Blending Mode

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.) Right Click the Original Image and create a duplicate layer. [Which is Background copy 4] And set Blending Mode = Multiply 

nfgw57N.png As we can see here, the image is bit dark and look suck. So let's brighten it up a little.

In Photoshop go to Filter -> Other -> Then click High Pass as you can see on the shot:

cexFosU.png

And you'll see a prompt message like this:

SSdyq6B.png Do the same values as what you seen in the shot. Then click OK

After clicking OK the image goes like this:

RdGJBeo.png Looks better now with Blend Mode = Multiply + High Pass.

Note: Sometimes when I use high pass some other images doesn't go like this, if this happens then don't use High Pass just go to Layer Options and adjust the Opacity and Fill of the image to any values you like until you are satisfied with it.

Or you can just SKIP this method and jump directly to Method Number 3. (It's up to you)

Or if you are satisfied with Method 2, then don't do Method 3. (It's up to you)

Or you could do the both! It's actually up to you.

3.) Right Click the Original image once again and create another duplicate layer. [Background copy 5] And set Blending Mode = Soft Light.

z5i6qfG.png The FINAL TOUCH! With Blending Mode = Soft Light. AND YOU'RE DONE!

Right click any image layer and Click Merge Visible, and you're ready to index.

Wa75x1B.png

Note: Before indexing or merging the image save your work as a psd file just in case.

Summary: [Comparison]

1.)ezBdFDE.png 2.)RdGJBeo.png 3.)z5i6qfG.png

1.) The Original with Blending Mode = Normal

2.) The 1st Duplicate with Blending Mode = Multiply + High Pass

3.) The 2nd Duplicate with Blending Mode = Soft Light

Background layer, image layer and overlay/outline layer?

I forgot about the background layer, that makes it four. There's no need for an outline layer when you can do it on the original image. :awesome

I forgot about the background layer, that makes it four. There's no need for an outline layer when you can do it on the original image. :awesome

If ever I'm adding an outline to something, I put it on a separate layer. If you use a centred stoke outline, placing it on a layer above the image allows you to cover up any artefacts/stray pixels on the image's border.

That's certainly an useful tips! Any tips on indexing to avoid colorloss and jagged edges though? Well that's actually the main point i want to ask :P

I prefer not to do Stroke Template/Design on PS or Gimp, I do stroking manually. And the method I shared to you is what I do to avoid colorloss. But sometimes the image doesn't get away with it, even some of my ports still has some colorloss.

I really like the 14th portraits I like all of them well can you make sonic, shadow, silver, and blaze tails,and,amy pic

Didn't I told you on MFG? Post a png image on the ones you asked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...