"non-fighting-game in MUGEN" vs "fighting-game in MUGEN"

Werewood

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

By seeing a recent Status Updates of NapoleonJonamite, I think it might not be a bad idea to bring out a discussion subject about:

In My Humble Opinion:
A) mugenizing non-fighting-game stuff
   + more fun, a big window of creativity development
   +/- perhaps more challenging, as raw materials are usually limited
   - the line between success and failure is thin (kind of a big risk)
B) mugenizing fighting-game stuff
   + having access to certain amount of available resources, depending on how popular one's choice is
   + gameplay systems mixing is welcomed in some cases
   + some people accept custom and/or edited stuff; both approaches can lead to some sort of success or failure
   + one can be a MUGEN legend if being able to make everybody's fighting game
      cross-over MUGEN source-accuracy dreams come true
   +/- one must be almost like the source game maker in order to mugenize source-accuracy perfectly
   - if trying to go for source-accuracy then there is not much creativity element at all (aka boring, I mean the process...)

I myself don't see anything wrong about making non-fighting-game stuff for MUGEN.

In last year of 2013, I mugenized a character from an old arcade action game called "Vigilante":

I love this arcade action very much and I would like to see it in MUGEN but no one has not yet convert it to MUGEN so I had to DIY.  Since the source materials were so limited, I had to do some extra works like Franken-spriting and adding strikers and even the hero's girlfriend interaction.  It was a challenge to me since ripping sprites and sounds from MAME is always hard as heck.  But I really enjoyed the MUGEN making process of that.  Of course, the outcome quality was another story, but at least it pleased me as its author. 

I remember when I was still in MUGEN Infantry (MI), some MUGEN dude told me, "hey, why the hell did you convert some non-fighting-game stuff to MUGEN?  it was just an awful idea and execution!"   Not hard to imagine, I had fought against that MUGEN dude and wasted some MI forum space.

Other examples:
- Boss Ryon's was from a classic action game, many MFFA'ers like it because it contains Boss Ryon's MUGEN creativity and nice execution
- DJ HANNIBALROYCE's was from a classic action game, it takes SNES MUGEN to the next level
- BaganSmashBros' was from a classic action game, really shows off BaganSmashBros' love towards Metroid and his MUGEN authoring skill
- Big O Ilusionista's was from a classic action game, I don't need to repeat mentioning its awesomeness and epicness

Now, something about the usual fighting-game stuff for MUGEN.

I am not going to talk about "MUGEN source-accuracy" because I am not allowed to do so.

The custom and edited ones in MUGEN, undoubtedly most fighting game players are mostly familiar with these categories, because these come from the fighting games they have been playing all the times.  Of course, not all custom and edited ones in MUGEN are widely welcomed and accepted by everybody.

Some examples being mentioned here:
- Boss Ryon's from Capcom Fighting Jam, plays very solid and it shows cool use of the RemapPal MUGEN state controller
- PotS' and all his successors' MUGEN characters, a collection of these already can make a decent MUGEN full game because these share a similar style and standard (high standard here)
- SxVector's a popular female character with a popular gameplay system, this is the essence of custom + edit
- M3's a popular female character with a new gameplay system, this is the essence of custom + edit
- Xasor's I call it "extreme custom + edit" that turned out so cool
- Gladiacloud & Beximus' I call it "legendary custom + edit" because Legendary Wings is so legendary:

"non-fighting-game in MUGEN" vs "fighting-game in MUGEN".........both worlds have fans.........

So, please make your vote I want to know what do you think about "non-fighting-game in MUGEN" vs "fighting-game in MUGEN".

Thank you for your time.

P.S.  The following message is for NapoleonJonamite ONLY:

My MUGEN experience:

* getting constantly e-bashed and e-bullied is 100000000 times worse than getting no comments/replies/feedbacks/praises/fans/$$$/cakes/whatever *

Most of my Mugen game contain characters from their original fighting games, I actually enjoy characters from their fighting game, like have King of Fighters 98's Kyo to fight against King of Fighters 2002's Kyo or maybe Capcom vs. SNK 2's Iori to fight against Mizuchi from Neogeo Battle Coliseum is pretty cool, a dream fight from different fighting game fighting against another fighting game. I also adore some non-fighting-game in MUGEN, some of them are interesting to see and converted to Mugen, a non fighting game character being playable in Mugen as fighting game character is interesting. I voted fighting-game in MUGEN" only because I am fan of fighting game and I rarely play games that are not fighting game :awesome

Most of my Mugen game contain characters from their original fighting games, I actually enjoy characters from their fighting game, like have King of Fighters 98's Kyo to fight against King of Fighters 2002's Kyo or maybe Capcom vs. SNK 2's Iori to fight against Mizuchi from Neogeo Battle Coliseum is pretty cool, a dream fight from different fighting game fighting against another fighting game. I also adore some non-fighting-game in MUGEN, some of them are interesting to see and converted to Mugen, a non fighting game character being playable in Mugen as fighting game character is interesting. I voted fighting-game in MUGEN" only because I am fan of fighting game and I rarely play games that are not fighting game :awesome

Thank you for participating this little MUGEN survey of mine!  Your opinion is highly valued!  :bow:

From your reply, you seem to be a hardcore SNK fighting games fan right?

As seen with my recreations of SCP-173 and SCP-096, I do prefer mugenizing non-fighting game characters since I have a lot more freedom in creation.  For example, I've actually been thinking about creating Doomguy at some point, but since I'm not looking to make one with the source sprites, I have to go through the route of sprite editing, which'll be time consuming.  And that's one con about non-fighting game characters in Mugen: You have to focus a lot on the spriting of the character, and it can take a long time to make.

I think this discussion is silly.

I mean, you're treating this like it's a crime to make Non fighting game characters for Mugen when it never was.

And you can be creative with a fighting game character as well.

Yo did you read my 1st post examples?  I was in fact defending non-fighting-game stuff in MUGEN.  I myself also mugenized a few ones.

I remember when I was still in MUGEN Infantry (MI), some MUGEN dude told me, "hey, why the hell did you convert some non-fighting-game stuff to MUGEN?  it was just an awful idea and execution!"   Not hard to imagine, I had fought against that MUGEN dude and wasted some MI forum space.

>> And you can be creative with a fighting game character as well.

See my "custom + edit" examples above..........those are some already creative ones......

And the main purpose of this topic of mine is, to collect statistics to see what people vote for.

I'm all for both, novelty & accuracy, but I'm rather special with my choices:

when it comes to existing characters from non fighting games, my choices are generally bosses & minigames(a good example are those bosses created by IF, or that megaman game by Ukege), this is what I like the most, generally don't pick characters meant to be used but to be fought against.(even got to start a mini DooM game in the form of a FPS, that never could finish for one thing or another)

when it comes to characters from fighting games, my choice is to pick the most accurate possible(like in Souki, Kurogane, Aotsuki touhou stuff, ‡H melty blood stuff, muteki gg, neat unsou etc...)

I don't keep those with custom gameplay,there are a few exceptions, the only characters with custom gameplay I keep is Arcueid by kuro & Shin Gouki by POTS,..... and rare akuma if joke counts, but that's it, I don't bother with anything else with "POTS" in the title, or with similar styles. Also characters which I liked their sprites, in this case, I liked the graphics & they could play horrible, but I only want them for showcase, most likely keep their sff.

fanmade/original stuff is a rather rare choice for me as well(I think I have only 7 counting both), but one thing they have in common is that they share a mix of novelty gameplay+graphics I find interesting, like Unyuho by Ohgaki.

Yo did you read my 1st post examples?  I was in fact defending non-fighting-game stuff in MUGEN.  I myself also mugenized a few ones.

I did and I still stand by my statement.

And stop bringing your past again. How many times must you be told to let go of it already?

I think this discussion is silly.

alternateNO.gif

Thank you for participating this little MUGEN survey of mine!  Your opinion is highly valued!  :bow:

From your reply, you seem to be a hardcore SNK fighting games fan right?

and Capcom :goodmood: then followed by Guilty Gear and Tekken, Tekken is my least. Actually, it is capcom but when I read the tutorial that Vans and Koopakoot made about kof tutorial, I am interested in SNK first :awesome