no MUGEN character name

no MUGEN character author's/creator's name

no MUGEN error messages/detailed issue description

no MUGEN character download hyperlink

no MUGEN screenshot/video

no MUGEN version mentioning

+____________________________________

no help

Doesn't matter which character! It happens to many of the characters when add ai patch! What the f*ck is going on! 

Since winmugen didn't have anyway to know if a player was AI controlled, author's often used crappy and stupid methods of setting their own AI variable such as a certain amount of idle time without input.  The only way to fix it will be to reverse engineer the AI variable and set it by some other method.

Thanks winmugen.

The best method is surely the variable based one, right? Other than Winane's helper-based AI activation, I don't see why anyone would use anything different.

There's two "good ways" to do it.

1) Winmugen compatible

Make a crap ton of humanly impossible commands that will activate a variable in the character which enables his AI.  Annoying, but functional.  Requires even more work if you want your AI to be adjustable as you have to account for that and make it possible for the user to modify it.

2) Mugen 1.x AILevel variable

You can use the global AILevel variable for Mugen 1.x compatible characters for AI attack states.  It works the same way as player command states (states in CMD file), but instead of using the command as the trigger, you use AILevel > 0 and some other situational triggers to emulate AI.  This is much easier than it sounds.  My characters use this method and they manage to have surprisingly competent AI.

The biggest reason you want this is that (if you do it properly) it uses the Mugen difficulty setting.

1) Winmugen compatible

Make a crap ton of humanly impossible commands that will activate a variable in the character which enables his AI.  Annoying, but functional.  Requires even more work if you want your AI to be adjustable as you have to account for that and make it possible for the user to modify it.

That's what I meant by "variable method". That's the one I use.

2) Mugen 1.x AILevel variable

You can use the global AILevel variable for Mugen 1.x compatible characters for AI attack states.  It works the same way as player command states (states in CMD file), but instead of using the command as the trigger, you use AILevel > 0 and some other situational triggers to emulate AI.  This is much easier than it sounds.  My characters use this method and they manage to have surprisingly competent AI.

The biggest reason you want this is that (if you do it properly) it uses the Mugen difficulty setting.

I'd use this method if more people used 1.0. I can't be arsed to code two different AIs for WinMUGEN and 1.0, and I'd rather the character was compatible with as much as possible. Removing winquotes and supplying an alterate .def file is easy. If it's just a case of swapping bits of code around, then perhaps I might consider using both AI methods.