How to ripped Jacky's throw sprites?

Genderless Child

Question

I'm ripping all the sprites of Virtua Fighter 2 Genesis and i mean all as possible to make a full spritesheet character.
I have only one problem and that is Jacky's throw sprites. Same problem for Akira's throw.
When Jacky grabs a opponent, i can rip his sprites, because the opponent is front of Jacky's body.
Here for example:
H1MCh6v.png

You see that Dural is getting garbed by Jacky and i want get rid of the opponent sprites, so i can rip Jacky's throw sprites.
How do i do that?

7 answers to this question

normally you would disable layers.

but the problem with sega genesis and fighting games, the character sprites are on the same layer.

this is one of those cases where you really need to know how to use artmoney (a program which can be used to hack games, and in our case, remove any sprites)

as for using it, I have no idea I never figured it out.

I think of a half-assed way I used before:

- try to throw all characters and take movies/screenshots

- compare the exposed Jacky's throw sprite parts when he is throwing characters (i.e. throwing Akira exposes Jacky's waist more than throwing Kage)

- cut the exposed sprite parts of each different throw

- put the cut parts together in hope of getting as many parts as possible

- if no more parts can be cut and put then try to frankensprite the missing parts by hands

The result will surely be sucky but this is the half-assed way I have been using............

He has already resolved this, but anyway, since we're talking about how to rip certain things from this console, I'm putting this in here too.

And no, Artmoney isn't needed. You only need patience and my tutorial.

How to rip sprites from Sega Genesis:

- Open the ROM with an emulator (obviously); the one I recommend for this ripping way is GensKMOD, available here: http://retrogamezone.co.uk/tutorialvideos.htm

you can also follow the tutorials in there, but to rip accurately and perfectly follow me. ;)

- When you want to rip something stop the game (with the Esc button on your keyboard);

in this case I'm doing Jacky's throw:

VirtuaFighter2_000.png

- usually you can rip sprites with screenshots (nothing wrong with that) but sometimes it becomes really difficult to get the sprites, like in this case; so now we go to the CPU menu, then Debug, Genesis, VDP - sprites:

SegaGenesisripping1.png

- when you click it, a window will appear:

SegaGenesisripping2.png

- do not dump the images with the dump button! Instead use the Print button on your keyboard (of course you'll have to paste it in an image editing program like Paint) and use the smaller image in the window (pixel perfect). The one in the left under the word "Priority", if it wasn't clear.

Also remember that you're not going to get the sprite, but pieces of the sprite in that frame that you have to put together.

Another thing to keep in mind: the pieces have a slightly different palette (they may look the same as your rips when you get them from screenshots but they're not).

This is how I could rip these sprites:

http://spritedatabase.net/files/genesis/2528/Sprite/DBFB_Goku.PNG

Trunks.PNG

He has already resolved this, but anyway, since we're talking about how to rip certain things from this console, I'm putting this in here too.

And no, Artmoney isn't needed. You only need patience and my tutorial.

How to rip sprites from Sega Genesis:

- Open the ROM with an emulator (obviously); the one I recommend for this ripping way is GensKMOD, available here: http://retrogamezone.co.uk/tutorialvideos.htm

you can also follow the tutorials in there, but to rip accurately and perfectly follow me. ;)

- When you want to rip something stop the game (with the Esc button on your keyboard);

in this case I'm doing Jacky's throw:

VirtuaFighter2_000.png

- usually you can rip sprites with screenshots (nothing wrong with that) but sometimes it becomes really difficult to get the sprites, like in this case; so now we go to the CPU menu, then Debug, Genesis, VDP - sprites:

SegaGenesisripping1.png

- when you click it, a window will appear:

SegaGenesisripping2.png

- do not dump the images with the dump button! Instead use the Print button on your keyboard (of course you'll have to paste it in an image editing program like Paint) and use the smaller image in the window (pixel perfect). The one in the left under the word "Priority", if it wasn't clear.

Also remember that you're not going to get the sprite, but pieces of the sprite in that frame that you have to put together.

Another thing to keep in mind: the pieces have a slightly different palette (they may look the same as your rips when you get them from screenshots but they're not).

This is how I could rip these sprites:

http://spritedatabase.net/files/genesis/2528/Sprite/DBFB_Goku.PNG

Trunks.PNG

Ok thanks. Maybe i had the wrong version of the emulator. But what do you mean by 'look the same as your rip... but they're not'?

If you take a sprite from a screenshot it has a palette; when you take a piece of sprite with VDP, at a first glance the palette looks the same: actually it's not.

E.g. the grey of a sprite ripped from a screenshot is different from the grey of a piece of sprite ripped with VDP.

So the only thing to do to solve this is to recolour the piece of sprite with the colours of the sprite you get from a screenshot.