How to do color separation (made easy)

Does this mean you can colour separate already and therefore one can request more complex palettes?

I'm curious about that too.... :hmm:

Well I have to get some color separations done before any of that they take longer to separate than to make actual palettes cuz I have alot of characters I wanna do it for.

Sorry for being off-topic, may I ask what is "color separation" exactly please?  I saw and heard of this term all over the place..........

When it comes to colors/palettes, I am a total newbie and dumb-ass.............

I give example for Ryu. Ryu has a white gi shirt along with the white trousers. If you change Ryu's shirt to red color, his trousers will be red as well...mean that both his shirt and trousers share the same color palette. So, the color separation we talking now is about, how to separate Ryu's shirt and trousers color into a single color for each one. Mean if someone want to make Ryu's shirt is red while his trousers is blue, we need to apply this color separation.

Actually Borewood, your question is in the right thread, so it's not off-topic :goodmood:

Kind of like Sham said, colour separation is the technique of adding colors to a character's sprite so that it's sprites look nicer and more palette possibilities are available since the colors won't be as linked anymore as before.

The term "Linked Colours" means that one part of a sprite has the same colour as one or several other parts of the sprite, causing you to be forced to give all other linked parts the same colour if you decide to recolour one of those parts.

Also you can take color seperation to another level by adding detail.

For instance take my Kid Goku, the first image is his ORIGINAL sprite from the game, from the sprite sheet.

The other 5 are pals for the sprites AFTER I color seperated his top from his bottom, and hair and eyes ,so i can make different colors and all. and belt wrist bands.

and the extra mile here, is I added detail to his arms to make it look like he has a undershirt.

So you can actually see that with color seperation you can do many things that give the character some extra life.

u2slqTY.png

my 2nd Pal is his GT colors. and just extra awesome, when Goku turns Oozaru its a Golden Oozaru to match. ^_^

• 1 month later...