What's your fighting game history?

LansingWolverine

Basically, I'm asking how and why did you start playing fighting games. i.e. Your first fighting game, arcade or console, etc.

Oh, and which fighting games you own, too. Also, add a link to some music to listen to while reading your story, please.

I guess I'll start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgkgnmp7hjg

Before 2005, I didn't care for the whole fighting genre, so when the first, second, and third Street Fighter came around, I ignored it.

So back in 2005, my uncle decided to give my dad a copy of MAME. When my dad downloaded it, he noticed Marvel vs. Capcom. He played it a lot, and I would watch him play. He would ask me if I wanted to play. I'd pass, heaven knows why. Eventually, I decided to give it a go. I failed badly. Later that day, I did some research, and found out more about MvC, and MAME. Days later, I decided to try again. I almost got to Onslaught. After that, I decided to get my dad a gift. The next day, when I got to his house, i gave him the gift; a PS2 controller, so we could play multiplayer. We both got better at the game. 6 years later, we forgot the game, mostly because MAME never worked a year later after getting the controller. I remembered MAME and the times we would have playing it. Since I got better at computers at that time, I looked up how to use MUGEN. I downloaded it on my dad's computer, and got MvC on it. I called him in and showed him what I've done. Ever since then, I decided to get more games on it for him. So I picked Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike. I downloaded it, and put it on MUGEN. When I first started playing, I realized that I love Street Fighter. Around that time, I got a PS2. And I knew my dad's birthday was soon, so I gave him an early birthday gift, Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Although I had the PS2, he'd come over to my house and we'd versus each other all the time. MvC2 is the first fighting game I owned. About a year later, me and my old man still love playing fighting games, such as UMvC3, SSF4, etc.

Games I own:

KOF 94,

KOF 95,

KOF 96,

KOF 97,

KOF 98,

KOF 99

KOF 2000,

KOF 2001,

KOF XI,

KOF XIII,

UMvC3,

MvC2,

Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 1 & 2,

SF3TS:OE,

SFxT,

SSF4:AE,

SSBB,

TR,

and SFA2.

Oh, and my favorite fighting game is a tie between Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers, and Street Fighter III 3rd Strike.

Started playing fighting games way back like when Karate Champ was new.

At the time I liked Street Fighter I for the introduction of special moves back then, though the control was ass.

I keep playing at my age because it's fun.  Every new generation takes for granted how far fighting games have come.  One of the reasons I like mugen so much is being able to do dream matches that would otherwise never happen.

As far as what fighitng games I own, it's too much for me to list being I also collect games.  The only thing that eludes me is an arcade machine.  Perfered if it would be a fighting game, and rare or, a game that never got ported home of some kind for my house.

Games I own: KOF 94, KOF 2000, KOF 2001 KOF XI, KOF XIII, UMvC3, MvC2, Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 1 & 2, SF3TS:OE SFxT, SSF4:AE, SSBB, TR, and SFA2.

Would it kill you to get a fighting game that ISN'T made by Capcom or SNK?

My story is similar to Zero's. I credit Double Dragon Arcade as my first fighting game. I played a lot of Kung Fu and Karate Champ as well. River City Ransom and other sell known beat'em ups. I noticed thst in these games I would find myself turning on my partner for tye thrill of engaging in 1 on 1 combat. It was when I first discovered SF 2 that I realized I really liked fighting games. I actually ddiscovered SF 1 later. In Zero aint kidding. The controls were horrible. Fo most of my childhood I would spend most of my quarters on SF, KOF, VS games and most of the Neo Geo machines. Today fighting games are a bit watered down. Except for maybe Tekken. It took skill and practice in the 90's and it takes just as much skill and practice today.

In my nieghborhood there was only so many hobbies we could do. Every street had drug dealers and hoes. The only way to avoid that mess was video games. At 7 I got my first snes and I played 90 percent fighters 5 percent rpgs, 4 percent beat em ups, and 1 percent everything else. SF II and its various interation were my first faves. Killer instinct blew me away. MK was cool even though it had the worst fighting engine IMO. SFA 2 on snes was played until I got my first PS and a copy of SFA 3. SFA 3 til this day is one of my all time favorites. MY list is as followed

Street fighter Alpha Anthology

Street fighter 4 ae

UMVC 3

Mortal kombat 9

Fight night champion

WWE 14

Madden 14

NBA 2k14

Every Final fantasy

Tekken 6

SFxT

Dragonball z budakai hd collection, raging blast 2, burst limit, Ultimate Tenkaichi

Naruto shippuden ultimate ninja storm 3

Skyrim

Every resident evil

Dead or alive 5 ultimate

GTA V

I'm tired now.............. to be continued :confuse:

Madden 14 NBA 2k14 Every Final fantasy Skyrim Every resident evil GTA V

Amazing fighting games, bro

TR = Tekken Revolution I was raised by Capcom, what'd you expect? Plus, I'm thinking about getting another Tekken game soon. I'm also going to buy Skullgirls, soon.

Uh, if TR is your first Tekken, I would wait for another Tekken. And I woukd exoect you to branch out from Capcom, ESPECIALLY when you want to be the authority on fighting games around here. I'll consider posting my story later. It will be great cause it has drama, romance, action and comedy.

toehoe.

I blame my cousin for starting me into fighters at such young age.

back at 1994 I started with Street fighter II & children of the Atom

kof series til 2003.....or was it 2004?, oh well, after that, it started to bore me, and my interest in it dropped, until it was null.

got into the Marvel phase, so marvel super heroes, vs street fighter, vs capcom 1 & 2, x-men vs street fighter, quite the same story with Kof

Street Fighter til the very first version of 4 

RotD 

Melty blood(s)

Guilty Gear(s) 

knowing the shmups prior to the fighters, found touhou pretty novelty back then, so I liked a lot & still do.

there were a lot more, and other genres as well,  DooM gets special mention., but don't want to bother remembering right now, 

not much of a player anymore since I entered college due to a change of priorities, but once in a while I do play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfFfDiNeTgI

Well this dates back to the 80s my friend.....

Double dragon set it off for me on beat em ups on NES (DAT VS MODE) and at the arcades. That was the days of Karate champ and street smarts at the arcade. But when

fighting street came out that grabbed my attention. Ive always been into martial arts. bruce lee. going to classes with my cousin and having my uncle teach me how to fight and also Wu su. So fighting games and kung fu movies period was my thing man. still is. Things didnt get seriously deep until Street fighter 2 coming out. I used to play it at a local arcade back in the day in my old hood in Brooklyn bedstuy. it was called DOTS arcade. Me and chris rock were from the same neighborhood. he was much older though. I loved that spot. from then on when i got into HS it was a rap because i started going to chinatown a lot then. especially since i was working after school. i spent most of my time out there at the classic China town fair arcade. thats where you got ya game up at in fighting games. If i didnt feel like going there then man i was all over time square. that was the days of XMEN COTA. Killer instinct, Rival schools, SSF, SF VS XMEN & MSH....yeah kai is an oldschool gamer. put ya quarter up for next on the side of the machine and all that lol man i miss the old manhattan for that...yeh it was lil rough back then cuz ya had to slap a clown up acting tough at the arcades at times or run cuz a shoot out happened. but you did gain some rep in fighting games and holding your own. if you didnt youd def be getting robbed of turns and money^^

Epic memory of me beating some one in a game at the arcades was in 1994 when KOF 94 came out. i was in canarsie with my friends at this spot fairy land. this local kid was whippin everybody and boastin. i was still fresh to it but i used to buy a lot of EGM mags so i was studying the KOF 94 moves and supers section before i got there lol Man i beat that dude with that last minute desperation super in the air with with kim kap with both of our energy low last round and everybody went crazy!! it was like i saved the day lol Dude was pissed but he still gave props for throwing down..My adrenaline was STILL pumpin after it was over..Hella rush bro haha later the CPU Rugal whipped my ass though lol Ive been a fan of that boss character ever since..

But when street fighter 2 series started hitting consoles i really started playing video games at home more. i loved my snes. If i didnt feel like being home id be just chillin with a bunch of friends at someones house. Especially when one of my friends got NEO GEO. Kicked each others ass and showing off new combos all day on different games and consoles. Somebody had a system all the time. we would play till one of our parents got tired of it and kicked us out and then we go to the next house LOL

Its was basketball, parties with chicks from school. Drawing. Anime and Fighting games. thats all it was during my years of HS

So with that said ill share with you some titles i have for different systems old and new i still have over the years. systems: PS1-PS3 (Modded ones also). XBOX G1 (2. one modded), 360 (2. one modded). Sega Dreamcast (2 one jap). Sega saturn. And yes i have other old systems too and some hand helds..I always stayed with a decent job so i used to always buy the latest shit^^

Street fighter III 3rd strike
Street fighter W impact
CVS 1 & CVS 2 (import)
SVC chaos (on G1xbx)
Rival schools (Import)
T VS C (import)
SF EX Series (Except 3)
VF5
Blaze blue
Skull girls
SS 7
Bloody Roar 1 & 2 imports (3 emulated on my modded G1 xbox)
Tekken 3, tekken 6, tekken revolution
Entire DOA series
Soul edge and almost the whole soul calibur series except III & the latest online
Guilty Gear 1 (import)
GGXX (US)
GGXX AC (Import)
Fist of the north star import PS2
Rumble fish (import)
Arcana hearts 2 (Import)
Jojos bizzare adv (import dreamcast)......I still gotta get that all star battle
SF collections PS1
SFA 1 & 2 ps1 imports
SF X T (on both systems) I was at the capcom fight club in manhattan too those years ago before release and test played that and MVC3
MVC2 (G1 xbx)
MVC3
UMVC3
SF4 & SSF4
SNES TMNT tournament fighters, SF2 turbo (and a some imports like Yuyu Hakusho 2, DBZ 3 & HD)
KOF98
KOF99
KOF 2000
KOF 2002
KOF 2003
KOF XII
KOF XIII (both systems)
Battle collesium
MOTW
Last Blade
Bushido Blade
Wild Ambition (Import)
DBZ games.even on DS

A lot of beat em ups....yes...urban reign and Fist of the north star kens rage 1 & 2 also

a shit load more of fighters but im too tired to keep naming....I had others too which i dont anymore

WELL Thats my history and knowledge for ya. old Kai is the stubborn old gamer stuck in time of 2D games. The arcades. Funco land tournaments and XBAND online....lol do you remember that online 90s gaming device?

...great times remembering after school..or cutting at times lol

Yo Kai, that was trill homie. You're a true fighter man. I knew you was a real OG. That's the best list I've seen yet. It's almost exactly like mine. I don't own all off them currently, but Ive owned/played them at some point. Tip: Don't lend out your games! :yaoming:

lol yes... Kai is one of those old arcade dogs in the room still left lol....The days of when you had to deal with a fighting game AS IS with all the glitches or cheap shit it had to offer. Like CPU SF2 guiles damn there NON CHARGE razor kick. Or Zangief's ridiculous grab reach along with T hawk. I remember all that shit man. I hated it but it just gave me way more skills to deal with wanna be cheap human opponents. i played every fighting on level 8.....fun times. Only thing thats different with me now is i dont have that intense passion to win like i used to. If i did id definitely go to Evo and challenge guys like Gootecks and Justin wong and others....My anger is my best asset. i used to get pissed and clean house every time back then lol My peoples used to love seeing that happen

But as for lending games naah Boi lol i learned the hard way with fam and friends. i lost some damn good classics that way smdh lol

Uh, if TR is your first Tekken, I would wait for another Tekken. And I woukd exoect you to branch out from Capcom, ESPECIALLY when you want to be the authority on fighting games around here.

I've played a couple Tekken games before, it's just the only one I own at this moment of time.

I had a limited exposure to fighting game early on. I had Street Fighter II on the SNES and Mortal Kombat on the N64 and that was pretty much it.

When I bought my cousin's Playstation games, they had games like Guilty Gear, Street Fighter Alpha, Darkstalkers, Marvel vs. Capcom, and Tekken. With Tekken 2 being my favorite out of the lot.

When I got a PS2 While I still had stuff like the Namco and Capcom games, I found myself playing more anime games like Guilty Gear XX,the DBZ games, and Naruto games.

Then I got a laptop and was exposed to the glorious world of arcade emulation and doujin games, this period is what I consider my peak of fighting games since I got to play snk  games for the first time and experience way more games than what I could without a computer.

I got a new laptop around a year ago and that's what I mainly play fighting games on and get when they are released. Street Fighter IV being my favorite on the pc side of things.

I recently got a ps3 and have Soul Calibur V and UMvC3 for it, unless you count Tekken Rev and UDoA5 f2p.

Well, I should get this out of the way. My early childhood barely had any fighting game influence. I was more influenced by platformers at the time. Then for some time I was more into arcade racers. I had played a few fighting games from time to time, but never truely invested in them. I think the turning point was when one day I was bored enough to look for fighting flash games. Perhaps it was due to actually having a movelist for once, but I began to enjoy it more than I expected. With this in mind, I got myself MAME and began to try out the real stuff. It was the usual culprits, Marvel vs, Street Fighter and KOF as these were the only ones I really knew about. I wanted to try Guilty Gear but alas, at the time it wasn't available. A few years later, I began to take note of Mugen. I saw a few videos, but while the premise was interesting it didn't seem to fully get me to try it myself. It wasn't until I saw it for myself being played in a con that I convinced myself to try it out for myself. Why do I mention Mugen? Because it gave me a taste of fighters outside of Capcom and SNK(accuracy issues aside). After playing some characters, it got me interested in trying their source games. Mugen introduced me to games like Melty Blood, Eternal Fighter Zero, Akatsuki Blitzkampf and others. In short, a flash game started my interest and mugen proceeded to amplify it.

Mugen is mah only fightan gaem. :P

Eh, so much for a (honestly poor) joke.

For what I can remember, I started getting into fighting games ever since I've played SNES SFII in Vietnam. I only played it for a while though, due to not knowing how fun the game is.. until when I really played the Arcade ver. in a car wash building (that's surprisingly still standing). Had a lot of fun playing SFII, though from what I remember I... did a sweeped the whole time in the arcade (and somehow reached to Vega by that way), and got my ass kicked by Vega (claw).

Though from there on, I wasn't really exposed to the whole "concept" of a fighting game (Frame datas, hitstuns, hitboxes, etc. etc.), and just play them for fun. (Aside from the fact that I first played MvC2 in the arcades, along with Samurai Showdown and Children of the Atom. Same with Capcom vs SNK 2 on the GC). Even when I played fighting games on emulations, I just played them for fun.

It wasn't until many years later that I started to grasp the true concept of a fighting game (in college), thanks to playing 3rd Strike with the other students (whom some managed to kick my ass in less than 5 seconds in 3rd Strike when I first got to college). Ever since then, I took fighting games a bit more seriously (but still quite casual at them), and started to learn them, piece by piece. Though... it doesn't help out the fact that I still can't read frame datas that well.. ^^'

Games I own (Physically):

.Hyper Street Fighter II (Anniversary Edition)/3rd Strike (PS2)

.Street Fighter II Turbo (VC on the Wii)

.Capcom collection (Cause Super Street Fighter II Turbo is in there) (XB360)

.Street Fighter: 3rd Strike - Online Edition (XB360)

.SSFIV: 3D Edition (3DS)

.SSFIV: Arcade Edition (XB360)

.SF x T (XB360)

.CvS2 (GC)

.Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (GC)

.Godzilla: Unleashed (Wii)

.Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Wii)

.MvC3/UMvC3 (XB360)

.KOF XIII (XB360)

.KOF 2K2UM (XB360)

.KOF: Orochi Collection  (Wii)

.Samurai Showdown collection (Wii)

.MK: Deadly Alliance (GC)

.MK: Deception (PS2)

.MK: Armageddon (PS2/Wii)

.MK 2011 (XB360)

.Injustice: Gods Among us (XB360)

.Soul Calibur 2 (PS2/GC)

.Soul Calibur 3 (PS2)

.Soul Calibur 4 (XB360)

.Soul Calibur 5 (XB360)

.Virtual Fighter 4 (PS2)

.Tekken: Dark Ressurection (PSP)

.Tekken 6 (XB360/PSP)

.Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (XB360)

.Dead or Alive: Dimensions (3DS)

.Dead or Alive 5 (XB360)

.Castlevania: Judgement (XB360)

.Kamen Rider: Super Climax Heroes (Wii)

.Darkstalkers: Chronicles (PSP)

.Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max (PSP)

.Yatagarasu (Jap. release) (PC)

.Melty Blood Actress Again: Current Code (PC)

.Crimson Alive: Extreme Encounter (PC)

.Vanguard Princess (PC)

.Dong Dong Never Die (PC)

.Akatsuki Blitzkampf (PC)

.Skullgirls (Steam)

and

.Divekick (Steam)

my first fighting game was the horrible karate champ on the nes lol!! it unfortunately ended up being the first nes game played in my house and i need to still hunt down the mofo who lent it to me lol jk! but i never really touched fighting games til sf2 . i saw sf1 or fighting street at the boxing gym i went to when i was a kid , old man clarence wasn't having that shit lol!! i didn't come to the bed stuy boxing center for games , but to learn that sweet science. i finished sixth grade and on our senior trip, i saw somone playing sf2 and they were at the car bonus. i went home yelling and screaming about someone using a woman to beat the shit out of somebody's car and everyone looked at me as if i was on that shit lol!!

then it hit the video store , then the weed spot around the corner and then everywhere that housed a game in bed stuy , there was a sf2 machine!! i learned from watching all the pros play and pick up their skills and make my own stuff up. then i rose through the ranks and then became that dude people used to beg for rounds , or walk away from the machine when seen lol!! but my world got turned upside down when i was introduced to the likes of snk , sega , midway and a few other notable companies. mortal kombat when i was in high school was a big thing at that time . part 2 got so crazy where people were making money off of selling the fatalities lol!! no bullshit!!

then sf came back with the alpha series , while sega and namco ushered in the 3d era with virtua fighter and tekken. i used to think those were gonna fall on their faces, but i saw how wrong i was as every sequel topped the last game. but kof was a definite eye opener for me for having all these snk characters in a big ass throwdown . then the import gaming scene made it a great time to be a fighting game fan with close to  or even perfect ports of games like xmen vs street fighter on the sega saturn . i grew up around the era of hanging out in arcades ( chinatown fair , playland , etc NYC)  and playing the best from all walks of life from nerds to stone cold killers from my hood.

even down to mugen , i'm just thankful the fgc survived , even if it got a lil gay in the form of crying  sore losers , sore winners ( yes they exist), and the always annoying trash talkers. but  still, i'm glad to be at a healthy 34 years of age to still see dragon punches being thrown , heads being ripped off , an asian girl getting ringed out by a fat jamaican etc lol!!

games i own

cvs 1 and 2 custom soundtrack (DC)

powerstone 1 (fuck part 2)

dead or alive 2 (DC) and 5 ultimate xbox  360

marvel vs capcom 1 DC

mvc 2 many versions (even the micheal jackson edition don't ask ) DC

project justice DC

kof 95-97 sega saturn

kof 98 and 99 dream match DC

kof 2k - 2002 DC

sfa 2 gold sega saturn

xmen vs street fighter sega saturn

dbz legends sega saturn

dbz budakai tenkaichi 2 ps2

street fighter anniversary collection ps2

ssf2 t sega saturn

ssf2t hd remix xbox 360

kof xi ps2

neo geo battle colloseum ps2

samurai showdown 3 and 4 sega saturn

vampire savior sega saturn

vampire chronicle for matching service dc

injustice xbox 360

d third sega saturn

groove on fight sega saturn

guilty gear accend core plus wii

blaze blue continuim shift (i know i fucked up the name so what) xbox 360

msh vs sf sega saturn

vf2 sega saturn

fighters megamix sega saturn

tekken 3 ps1

tekken 6 and tt2 xbox 360

sould calibur 4 xbox 360 and the psp one which surprisingly play better than the console ones in my opinion

soul calibur 1 dc and 2 xbox original and hd on 360

naruto 3 full burst xbox 360

ssf4 arcade edition 2012 xbox 360

sf x tekken xbox 360

mortal kombat komplete edition xbox 360

i got a billion more but let's just stop here cuz i have modded ystems so i got a ton of shit lol