Reopening the tomb of eSnips

rockocalypse

Please skip to the 2nd section if you don't care for theatrics and how I came to finding this out (I've no idea who bloody motaro is, I just used it to further cement my theory on getting eSnip chars)

Background:

I'm not sure if this is a known practice or not but I have found a way to scavenge SOME of the files from the infamous Esnips crash. These characters will remain out of reach no longer.

So far, I have obtained a lot of final fantasy and kingdom heart characters along with Rayman (not the versions out and about now. Those I thought were inadequate .[Even though i'm aware that one is a W.I.P] This one is a big uprgrade on them.) And as I wrote I tried another called "bloody motaro". He/she too was saved from eSnips. The reason I talk like its this is some huge news release is because I feel it is. We can save countless characters and stages with this new opportunity of ours.Although I do wonder if it's even new at all. It certainly is simple and somewhat obvious of the workaround. 

Actually getting the character/stage:

1.Find a broken and lost esnip link for example Bloody Motaro's, right click it and go to "copy link address."

2. Go to this website https://archive.org/ and where it has a big button entitled "BROWSE HISTORY" 

3. After pasting your url just click that Browse History button.

4. Click on one of the archived dates for your file.They will be highlighted in Blue once you get to the right page. Your download should start and you'll be on your way.

Reply and tell me if it worked, if we knew about this already, and any problems you have doing this.

You know, this is a very common and well known practice for almost any dead website(except the ones with robots.txt). You must've been lucky for it to work because 95% of dead esnips links using this method will not give you the desired result.

if the pages are all archived, then so are the files. So wouldn't it be safe to just go to an archived date BEFORE any of the viruses appeared? 

EDIT: It's not like your actually going to the site itself anyway. It's hosted by Archive.org, the URL is changed so that it contains Archive in it's name. It's quite literally only a screenshot of what the website looked like at the time with clickable links. I know sometimes on Esnips u would download a character or somethhing that would be a virus but, since archive is keeping the site as what it was when the screenshot was taken, going back before the viruses appeared can't do you any harm. Its like going back in time before an outbreak. The otubreak can't get you if it hadn't happened yet

if the pages are all archived, then so are the files. So wouldn't it be safe to just go to an archived date BEFORE any of the viruses appeared? 

EDIT: It's not like your actually going to the site itself anyway. It's hosted by Archive.org, the URL is changed so that it contains Archive in it's name. It's quite literally only a screenshot of what the website looked like at the time with clickable links. I know sometimes on Esnips u would download a character or somethhing that would be a virus but, since archive is keeping the site as what it was when the screenshot was taken, going back before the viruses appeared can't do you any harm. Its like going back in time before an outbreak. The otubreak can't get you if it hadn't happened yet

Rockocalypse we're not trying to be rude to you and ditching your idea but alot of us just can't take any changes and many of us including my self had bad experiances from downloading  at esnips.

My computer almost crash to oblivian where I thought I was going to lose everything and important Docs and files. Luckly I had a firewall that stop That Trojon-type Virus in its tracks but it was to close for comfort. Sorry but i have to agree with Phantom Blood and the others its best just leave it dead.

Besides we have a rule in this Forum that forbids us linking, downloading, and uploading anything that deals with eSnips.