Atlus Pulls a Fast One, Announcing Four Different Persona TItles at Once

Brucelee41126

Posted Image

Yes, you read that right. Not one, two or three games. FOUR goddamn Persona games in one big announcement! Needlessly say, Atlus wasn't trying to disappoint anybody.

(or maybe soak in the Persona moneypit for what it's worth)

Three days ago, Atlus began a stream, saying they had an announcement to make. The stream was accompanied by a timer counting down starting from 72 hours. That ended today, (technically yesterday very late night), LITERALLY LIKE 4 HOURS FROM THE TIME OF THIS POST (10:30 in the morning) after so many announcements. The stream started getting video that wasn't showing the crowd of people gather around panels in japan for the event at around oh, 6:05, when the timer went to 0. We then given a new Persona game, that's portable, but NOT on Sony.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (3DS)

http://youtu.be/yf8A6Nl-r-I

The game looks like an RPG that has the cast of Persona 3 and 4 meeting together in some sort of strange area, and now have to face a new threat. It looks pretty solid from the trailer, though the characters are all chibis now. It's apparent that both parties can use Personas like their respective games, but it seems unlikely it's canon.  The game is surprisingly being done by the same people who did the Etrian Odyssey series, rather than the Persona staff, though the designs are still by the same artists. Personally, I think I'd grab this game when it came out. It looks like it'll be a good RPG to play with after you finish with the new SMT and Etrian Odyssey we recently got. Not to mention Fire Emblem.

After that , Teddie started going on about the fighter, and saying he thought people are missing, then suddenly Adachi's voice comes up  after awhile.About 9 minutes later we were given another trailer announcement. Something we all expected

Persona 4 Ultimax Ultra Super Hold (aka: Persona 4 Arena 2) (PS3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVklTsxJDes

Well, it's just like what's implied. Atlus once again does a collaboration effort with Ark Systems to make another Persona fighting game. In this game it seems at that there are quite a few changes made. For starters, there are new stages, characters, and moves. This includes shadows of characters actually having their own dialogue. This goes as far as one of the new characters being a redhead and seems to be the TRUE shadow of Yu! Also coming into the fray are Yukari from Persona 3 and Adachi, a popular character of Persona 4 and pretty much one of the main baddies (hey, if you played Persona 4 Arena without playing P4 first, you already spoilered most of the story). More than likely this game will continue the story that P4A left off.

A bit after that we got a game that....a lot of people didn't expect. Let's go with that.

Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Playstation Vita)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5BIRWiifo8

I have no words for this one. You play as multiple characters from Persona 4 dancing to music from the game. The soundtrack was awesome, yes, but I have never dreamed of a such a thing happening. It looks like you get multiple costumes for each of the cast, and they all dance to popular songs from the game. Fucking. Hilarious. If you ask me.

After that, the stream seems to be over. Teddie seems to be wrapping things up, and saying his goodbyes to everybody.

WAIT A MINUTE

Teddie starts freaking out for some reason and just as suddenly there's a timer going on the screen behind him. What time does it start on? I thought I was just letting my eyes fuck with me, but I swear I saw:

5:55

Everybody started FREAKING THE FUCK OUT. Any of the more savvy viewers in the stream already knew what that meant, but it only have to be confirmed in 5 minutes. The game Persona fans have been waiting years for:

Persona 5 (PS3 Exclusive)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKuK7ue-cBQ

Needless to say, this was made simply to get people hype as fuck. And it worked. Big time. Nothing can be made heads or tails of the game yet, BUT, word has that it's pretty much confirmed that a new cast will showing up in this game. Judging by the tone of the trailer, it looks like this installment is going for a more dark and serious tone like Persona 1 and 2 had. Strangely, this game is going to PS3, not touching PS4. Depending on what you've done with your systems and what you have, this either comes off as a blessing or a slap in the face. Either way, this won't be coming out until next year at least, so you have time to get ready.

Atlus knows how to get attention and fuck with people and the fans. In this case, in a pretty good way. Though it was late for people in the west, the stream was well worth the wait (in terms of announcement AND reactions in the stream.)

Reaction to the First: Holy Shit! Cool!

Reaction to the Second: JUNPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!

Reaction to the Third: Hm...Yeah.

Reaction to the Four: WOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!! PS3 and Not PS4 (Kingdom Hearts going for PS4 pretty much left me heartbroken.

Atlus Rocks.

Persona always seemed to be a franchise that took itself too seriously for me up until Persona 4 (Or maybe I'm just thinking about Shin Megami Tensai in general), but still... A Persona Dance Game? That doesn't make sense to me. Is it, like, a Dance Dance Revolution game or something? ...Then again, I haven't played much of the series, so I could be wrong. I never really had the interest to play it, though. Could someone recommend a Shin Megami Tensai game I could start out with?

Persona always seemed to be a franchise that took itself too seriously for me up until Persona 4 (Or maybe I'm just thinking about Shin Megami Tensai in general), but still... A Persona Dance Game? That doesn't make sense to me. Is it, like, a Dance Dance Revolution game or something? ...Then again, I haven't played much of the series, so I could be wrong. I never really had the interest to play it, though. Could someone recommend a Shin Megami Tensai game I could start out with?

The Digital Devil Saga games for the PS2 is a place to start, It has the same battle system as SMT III and IV and lets you get used to spell names and what they do.

Persona 3, preferably FES, but you can just easily emulate P3P on PPSSPP. It lets you get used to stuff that are in almost every game, especially fusion. P3P plays more like a VN outside of the dungeon crawling and has the option of playing as a girl. FES doesn't let you control your teammates in battle but is more difficult than P3P and has cutsceens and all that jazz, oh, and an extra dungeon after you beat the game.

I don't have those consoles. Also, are the Persona/Shin Megami titles as overly serious as they look?

Depends on what you mean by serious. Persona 4 is indeed by far the most cheery game of the series. All the characters are more cheery, a lot of the time things aren't serious and the choice system/dating sim parts of the game are much more for fun.

Real spoiler mind you

It's also the only one of the series so far that doesn't end up with dying/disappearing tragically. Making Yu either the luckiest protagonist, the most successful for their cause, or just the most skilled in general

Most of the other Persona/SMT games are pretty serious and usually realistic to how an actual being would react to such a situation and usually has grave and serious things happen rather than the heroes just lucking out somehow. 3 introduce whole free-time concept where the character can get closer as well as the fusion system to others and 4 increased those factors. 1 and 2 are pretty focused on the RPG side and are pretty much good games if you're straight to the point.

I wouldn't call them overly serious in all honesty I personally found 1 and 2's stories and characters quite well written

BTW Sweet was saying you could emulate the games if you wanted to try it. P3P is on PSP

which is kinda obvious in a way:  P ersona 3  Portable

Likely going to be something along the lines of Project Diva styled, as that seems to be one of the biggest Japanese dance game-raves at the time. Westerners are more used to things like Guitar Hero and DDR.

Likely going to be something along the lines of Project Diva styled, as that seems to be one of the biggest Japanese dance game-raves at the time. Westerners are more used to things like Guitar Hero and DDR.

That's basically what it is, only with Persona characters and Persona 4 music

I don't really think a rhythm P4 game is a good idea

Toshio approves!

I'll buy these new games, but not the dancing game.

I have to agree with you two. I rather prefer the RPG, Fighting games then the what you call that "Dance Dance revolution" clone game.

It's an obvious cash-grab from Fatlus that's gonna ride off the success of Persona 4 just like Arena and Arena 2, and to an effect Persona Q(except Persona Q is going to be good).

I'm still willing to bet that this game isn't going to breach the shores of Japan because there's absolutely no market for Japanese dancing rhythm games in the western world. 

Project Diva got localized for PS3, And the Vita one is planned to be released now

Don't see why it will NOT get localized, Not to mention it has "Persona 4" on it, That alone would sell many copies And that cash grab... Really made me wish that Atlus should go bankrupt instead... After Persona Q, 5 and Break Record comes over

Project Diva got localized for PS3, And the Vita one is planned to be released now

Don't see why it will NOT get localized, Not to mention it has "Persona 4" on it, That alone would sell many copies And that cash grab... Really made me wish that Atlus should go bankrupt instead... After Persona Q, 5 and Break Record comes over

.......Or get Brought by another company like Nintendo,Capcom, or Namco/Bandi. :goodmood:

Project Diva F is the only game that is going to be localized, and for digital download only on the Vita. I still doubt that just because the game has the title "persona 4" slapped on there, it's going to be localized.

Also Sega buying Atlus is a potential disaster since Sega is literally sitting on a goldmine of IP's from Skies of Arcadia to Shenmue, all pushed back in favor of Sonic.