Project Catch 'Em All

Ryon

Hello TxPot and welcome to MFFA. It's nice to hear that you are still there at PCEA. :3

Okay, so it's official now. This are the POKéMON I'm currently working on or are definitive future WIPs:

*Jigglypuff (current WIP)

*Glaceon & Leafeon (comes directly after Jigglypuff)

*Lucario (comes after Glaceon and Leafeon)

*Togetic (very old WIP of mine)

*Ampharos (comes after Togetic)

*Mawile (possible future WIP, if Daeron will come up with the sprites just like he did with Croagunk)

*Sylveon (future joint project WIP, combining JoshR Eeveelution sprites with the efforts of me and Neweegee and possible other people, first X/Y POKéMON in PCEA)

Right now, Jigglypuff is the biggest priority, but there is one problem: Jigglypuff would require a new status effect to be added for the fullgame, and that is sleep.

And sadly, that would require the common1.cns to be updated as well. However, I first need permission for that before I can update it myself with the new status effect sleep (I would also update my Eeveelutions to have displays for the new status effect as well, while every other sleep-related effect will be already applied to the common animation file).

I believe you should do something similar to what pokemon stadium did. You pick the 3 pokemon you would want to use instead of having set teams which I dislike. I would rather get to choose a mix and match for each one.

This is what Alexei was saying back on Mugen Guild. I partly don't like the idea because in addition to extra variables needed, it requires to stick in a ton of pokemon sprites within one character, causing the .SFF file size to rise considerably even with effects separated to Mugen's .SFF file to lessen loading times. Then there's the prospect of customisable moves (assuming anyone wants this part to happen), which I'm dreading as it needs even more variables. I can code a working copy of that idea quickly though to try it out.

Right now, Jigglypuff is the biggest priority, but there is one problem: Jigglypuff would require a new status effect to be added for the fullgame, and that is sleep.

And sadly, that would require the common1.cns to be updated as well. However, I first need permission for that before I can update it myself with the new status effect sleep (I would also update my Eeveelutions to have displays for the new status effect as well, while every other sleep-related effect will be already applied to the common animation file).

You can do whatever you want to the common1.cns file at this point. What is your style of Sleep going to be like? If it turns out it can be implemented easily into the system, I'll add it to the main system.

You have my permission.

This is what Alexei was saying back on Mugen Guild. I partly don't like the idea because in addition to extra variables needed, it requires to stick in a ton of pokemon sprites within one character, causing the .SFF file size to rise considerably even with effects separated to Mugen's .SFF file to lessen loading times. Then there's the prospect of customisable moves (assuming anyone wants this part to happen), which I'm dreading as it needs even more variables. I can code a working copy of that idea quickly though to try it out.

Yep, only my idea of it would be more system-wide where the Pokemon would be in the system. The result would be the same though in the end. There is a major flaw in this idea though because I remember running into a limitation where trainer sprites had to be put in the individual characters in order to work properly from a systematic standpoint. I'm not really sure of the details of this though.

You can do whatever you want to the common1.cns file at this point. What is your style of Sleep going to be like? If it turns out it can be implemented easily into the system, I'll add it to the main system.

You have my permission.

Mine too. There are status effect for Burn, Poison and Paralysis in currently, so Sleep would just be a state the Pokemon goes to.

Okay, I started work on Jigglypuff now. But before I could, I did this first:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/rrgqjh

With this patch for TxPot's Honchkrow, Uproar now can wake up POKéMON with the sleep status, just like in the source game.

It does that in a similar way like how flinching attacks make the opponent flinch.

The Uproar hit helper checks, if the POKéMON, who got hit by the Uproar hit helper, has its var(4) set to 4, which is the index for the sleep status.

If that's the case, then the POKéMON is set to a custom hit state, where var(4) is set to 0 again. I was able to do that without changing the way Uproar hits the enemy, since there is zero hit velocity anyway.

Now there is only one thing left: Finding a way of how Jigglypuff could check, whenever Uproar is in effect without creating new variables, because Rest automatically fails, if Uproar is in effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. In fact, I'm working on one right now. Also, I did some minor changes to common1.cns, though I'm not sure how finished it is.

Also, my Jigglypuff introduces a new Optional Animation Standard: Unique sleeping and waking up animations, and Jigglypuff uses them (mainly because one of her attacks is Rest, which indeed makes her asleep). It even has it's own status effect icon (TxPot told me, where he got the status effect icons from, and Spriter Resource has them ripped).

However, before I will code Sing and Rest, I first want to finish Rollout, which will be done from scratch, because Electrode's Rollout works nothing like in the source.

Things of note that I have to take care of when coding Rollout:

• The move hits over 5 turns when ignoring the chance of missing. And that's not the same thing like the consecutive hits of, let's say Spike Canon (TxPot's Omastar has that move)
  • Jigglypuff will spin during that attack the same way like in the Smash games. I want to achieve it by MUGEN's rotation code, but that would require the spin part to have a completely different axis position than the rest of the attack. Man, this will be messy.

But after that, I get to the real meat (Sing and Rest, which make use of the new Sleep Status Effect).

• 5 months later...

Now comes the obligatory bump.

Jigglypuff is now pretty much 95% done. All attacks are now fully coded and the correct stats are already in place.
Technically, only the sounds are now left. I did remember something of importance, though: Abilities.

So far, all my previously released POKéMON had a special ability of some kind. Jigglypuff might be the first to NOT have one, though. And that's why:

• Cute Charm is the first of Jigglypuff's main two abilities. When a POKéMON with Cute Charm gets hit by a physical attack of a POKéMON of the opposite gender, the attacking POKéMON falls in love with the cute charmer. At first, it sounds easy to implement, but there is one big problem: In Project Catch'em All, there ARE no genders to begin with, and to be honest, I already have enough of updating the common1.cns when I tried to implement the Sleep status effect, so Cute Charm is out.
  • Competitive is the second of Jigglypuff's main two abilities. When a stat of a Pokémon with this Ability is lowered by an opponent, its Special Attack is increased by two stages. That also wont work, because Project Catch'em All does not differentiate between Attack and Special Attack, and I'm not even sure if MUGEN allows that. But even if it does, that would require me to not edit the common1.cns, but every single POKéMON that was created for PCEA, so Competitive is out as well.
  • Friend Guard is special in the sense that it's actually Jigglypuff's Hidden Ability. Friend Guard reduces the damage done to allies by 25%...but PCEA doesn't support Simul Mode, so PCEA doesn't have battles where you could possibly have allies. Thus, Friend Guard works the least in PCEA

So yeah, unless a workaround is found, I will release Jigglypuff without an Ability. I hope you guys don't mind...

Hmm...but even then, the only two stats that can be lowered are defence and maybe speed (which is represented by the ATB refill ratio), and how am I supossed to take track of whenever a POKéMON lowered another POKéMON stats? I mean, no POKéMON in PCEA ever had a stat-lowering attack before.

If only I could tag people, I would then tag TxPot as to how he would do that, because I would totally expect it from him the most that he would include such attack to one of his future creations at some point.

• Cute Charm is the first of Jigglypuff's main two abilities. When a POKéMON with Cute Charm gets hit by a physical attack of a POKéMON of the opposite gender, the attacking POKéMON falls in love with the cute charmer. At first, it sounds easy to implement, but there is one big problem: In Project Catch'em All, there ARE no genders to begin with, and to be honest, I already have enough of updating the common1.cns when I tried to implement the Sleep status effect, so Cute Charm is out.
  • Competitive is the second of Jigglypuff's main two abilities. When a stat of a Pokémon with this Ability is lowered by an opponent, its Special Attack is increased by two stages. That also wont work, because Project Catch'em All does not differentiate between Attack and Special Attack, and I'm not even sure if MUGEN allows that. But even if it does, that would require me to not edit the common1.cns, but every single POKéMON that was created for PCEA, so Competitive is out as well.
  • Friend Guard is special in the sense that it's actually Jigglypuff's Hidden Ability. Friend Guard reduces the damage done to allies by 25%...but PCEA doesn't support Simul Mode, so PCEA doesn't have battles where you could possibly have allies. Thus, Friend Guard works the least in PCEA

So yeah, unless a workaround is found, I will release Jigglypuff without an Ability. I hope you guys don't mind...

I saw this now at work, and I can say it's possible to replicate Competitive and Friend Guard in the newer system.

First is Competitive. Basically, a move like Growl puts the opponent in a custom state that reduces their Attack stat, and if the user has the ability activated or the trainer has this ability, their Special Attack rises in the same custom state. It's a bit harder to detect multiple hits, as there's always a chance that each reduction in a multiple-hitting move will also boost the Special Attack stat to maximum, but some easy work-around will prevent this.

Friend Guard requires a complete change. Something like "Effect is always active to all other pokemon in the party, if the user is in the party regardless of participation in battle". It makes someone like Cleffa be useful in battle without actually fighting, but it may be deemed cheap as you'd have to defeat two other pokemon to get the Friend Guarder. Will this be acceptable?

There is currently nothing that detects gender in the system. It needs a variable to detect gender, but it could be randomised on pokemon that doesn't have a fixed gender.

In the older system, the only viable ability to use would be Competitive, and it could be an ability that increases attack damage when at half or lower HP, like a last-ditch effort to win if you will.

Wait, an attack increase when on low health? Maybe not really source-accurate, but it does sound interesting, to say the least. That would also help Jigglypuff reach glass cannon status, which would yet another nice Smash Bros nod in Jigglypuff's repertoire of Smash Bros nods.
You know what, I think I'll just go with that.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to clarify that I do work on Leafeon.

In fact, Leafeon is already almost finished. I'm not doing tweaks on the Leaf Blade animation.

Or rather, I would if I wouldn't have had that amazing thing called Super Mario Maker.

Man, I really should procascinate less.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

rRGJpBu.png

Lefeaon released today, as well as Glaceon and Umbreon updated.

Once again, get all my MUGEN stuff here: http://1drv.ms/1FlL1Zq

Also, this marks the end of my first wave of POKéMON for Project Catch'em All.

Will I come back? Of course, but I will now wait first until the system update is finished.

In the meanwhile, I will continue to work on the NES Street Fighter 4 remake with Cliff Li (and his stage), Chun-Fo Moon's stage, the screenpack and Tyson Houbot (and his stage).

Also, here are my planned POKéMON for my next wave:

*Togetic (an old WIP of mine)

*Ampharos

*Lucario

*Rotom

*???

*???

*???

*???

Yup, 8 POKéMON again, although I still haven't decided on the last 4. Any suggestions?

Okay seeing as how I've actually started following this project more closely thanks to Traweezie's streams allow me to throw in my feedback.

• Simul mode has alot of bugs. Lifebars overlap (you can't see your partner's sometimes), certain abilities don't work (ie: Water Absorb), weather conditions not affecting teammates (ie: Charizard's Sunny Day & Venusaur's Solarbeam), among other things.
  • Critical Hits, I feel, happen way too often and can literally make or break a match. Best example is Hitmonlee; if he scores a Critical Hit with High Jump Kick, its literally game over for a large majority of the cast. Imo, this should be reduced to the source game's base critical rate of 6.25%, and possibly even reduce the critical damage down to 50% to match the mechanics used in gen 6.
  • Certain types being affected by status conditions that they shouldn't be (ie: Fire types being Burned, Electric types being Paralyzed, Grass types being affected by Leech Seed, etc)
  • Character balance issues. For a boss character, Mewtwo seems really underpowered, as compared to Steelix and possibly even Charizard, who feel really OP in comparison. There's also the aforementioned Hitmonlee, and even Pikachu is guilty of this as well to a certain extent (Paralysis making them unable to move 100% of the time for two turns seems kind of silly)
  • Lack of dual-typing, though I'm going to assume that this is system related. Still, theoretically dual types shouldn't be too difficult to implement and would add a bit more variety.
  • Lack of type immunities. I mean, its already possible with Water Absorb, so I don't think it would be too game breaking.

Also expect me to contribute to this once I get a better understanding of the underlying system and code.

3 hours ago, leonlight said:

i've started noticing that the project is getting more and more popular thanks to streamers...i don't know if this will help improve the game or just get critics to instult it...leading to talented people not wanting to keep the awsome work 

It wouldn't be any different than critiques in other works really. Hope that the criticism is constructive and ignore it if it's not. Really it's the best thing you can do.

Pretty much what Alexei said, the more exposure leads to more people finding flaws and pointing them out. I never really paid much attention to the project until now and I had a lengthy little chat with Alexei about it yesterday, and pointed out some of the more nitty gritty Pokemon details that he didnt know about, like double weaknesses for dual types, how certain abilities work, and the fact that damage calculations in the Pokemon games actually use a scaling modifier that is randomly generated between x0.85 and x1.0, among other things, including a proposed revamp of how Pokemon types are stored in PCEA.

57 minutes ago, Ricepigeon said:

Pretty much what Alexei said, the more exposure leads to more people finding flaws and pointing them out. I never really paid much attention to the project until now and I had a lengthy little chat with Alexei about it yesterday, and pointed out some of the more nitty gritty Pokemon details that he didnt know about, like double weaknesses for dual types, how certain abilities work, and the fact that damage calculations in the Pokemon games actually use a scaling modifier that is randomly generated between x0.85 and x1.0, among other things, including a proposed revamp of how Pokemon types are stored in PCEA.

Exactly. I know I messed up the original system in terms of accuracy, and there was much criticism of it, but that's exactly why it needs to change and without tears too lol.