Project Catch 'Em All

Ryon

Just now, Captain Papyrus said:

If the chances for an 2HKO are so high with "Base 2, 45 hits", then I do not want to imagine how high it would be with its original configuration (Base 1, 90 hits).

Hmm...how high are the chances for 2HKO with "Base 3, 30 hits" and "Base 5, 18 hits" respectively?

• 252+ SpA Quilava Flamethrower (Base 3, 30 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venusaur: 240-360 (65.9 - 98.9%) -- Guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Quilava Flamethrower (Base 5, 18 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venusaur: 216-252 (59.3 - 69.2%) -- Guaranteed 2HKO

Slightly closer to the actual damage dealt but still off

• 252+ SpA Quilava Flamethrower (Base 90, 1 hit) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venusaur: 168-200 (46.1 - 54.9%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Quilava Flamethrower (Base 6, 15 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venusaur: 210-270 (57.7 - 74.2%) -- Guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Quilava Flamethrower (Base 9, 10 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Venusaur: 180-240 (49.5 - 65.9%) -- Less than 100% chance to 2HKO

@trini them being super low tier (besides flareon for some reason) is the main reason I wanted to look at them. I have to make stuff of my own and I am starting with Wobbafett lol. after new system is in place will take a look at if something better can fit in than quick attack if you want I can even somewhat try to make a moveset we can both agree on so as not to just listen to you at all.

Hmm...I guess we could try...

Okay, when ignoring Quick Attack, these are the attack I really would like them to keep if possible:

*Vaporeon

->Surf

->Aqua Ring

*Jolteon:

->Agility

->Zap Cannon or Wild Charge

*Flareon

->Flare Blitz

->Fire Blast

*Espeon

->Future Sight

->Morning Sun

*Umbreon

->Moonlight

->Feint Attack or Dark Pulse

*Leafeon

->Leaf Blade

->Sunny Day & Synthesis (they were supossed to be working together)

*Glaceon

->Hail

->Blizzard

Furthermore, I would like it if they could keep all their Special Abilities...if that's possible, that is.

I just hope we could get to an agreement.

I had no issues keeping the special abilities, I thought about actually allowing jolteon to keep it cause it fits him, Aqua ring was staying even though its very situational and makes vap lose alot lol. Flareon for some reason was OP in the old build not sure why. Espeon I wanted to espescially change quick attack to something SP attack related that could serve the same purpose. Leafeon I understand the reason both are there but it kind of hurts him in the sense his ai rarely  does anything damaging. Unfortunately the AI is not smart enough to know what to use in conjunction so sunny day could just end up killing leafeon vs a fire type.

I honestly don't know what to do for Leafeon.

• 2 years later...

Project Catch-em All Beta 3

Hello everyone!

As many of you may know, this project has been split into two games, both with different systems we call A and B. Alexei has taken over System B (ability to select and switch Pokemon on the fly) and moved it to Game Maker, and has given me access to the MUGEN project which uses System A, the current game as we have now.

With that being said, this game is not dead. Instead, I have spent the last several months being lazy touching up the current engine and what you can do with it. It's still a beta since many visual things need touching up, like the title screen for example, but anyone can pitch in with ideas to make the system better.

Here's a quick list as to what you can do with it now:

1. The game's code has been re-written. It now uses the proper stats for each Pokemon, except speed. This also means that the game now splits its attacks into two different types: Physical and Special, though you can also create attacks that deal a set amount of damage. Evasion and the accuracy of moves now plays a bigger part than damage.
2. Pokemon types are now viable to implement properly. It now uses the proper type advantages/disadvantages for each pokemon. This also means that most pokemon have been affected greatly by this change, since it's possible to create dual-types.
3. Sleep and Freeze is implemented.
4. Periodic damage from Whirlpool/Fire Spin/Infestation/etc is implemented.
5. Weather and terrain-changing abilities and moves work, but they may still be bugs with it.
6. Abilities can be used, but depending on the pokemon, you can either have them turned off unless you select a specified palette, or have them on indefinitely. In addition, the A.I can only activate their ability if you set the difficulty to 8, although this can be removed as well.
7. The names of moves you're currently doing are implemented and can now be displayed as long as you like.
8. The projectiles of most Pokemon's attacks will now only hit one opponent, to emphasize on using Pokemon as a shield as a tactic with the "simul" game mode. Things like Omastar's Scald and Quilava's Flamethrower will not hit multiple opponents unless they are bunched together.
9. Attacks that can flinch will reset the ATB gauge to the minimum of the move itself, rather than a set number that you can also set yourself, if inclined to. Treat this like Paralysis.

Much of what you want to do with each Pokemon depends on whether it's been done before by other creators (implementing the move Disable, for example), whether it was implemented in previous Pokemon games that followed the main games (Surfing Pikachu in Pokemon Stadium), and/or whether it's viable to do it in the MUGEN engine (Mega Evolutions can only be used as a separate character with modified sprites, for example). The general consensus is to try and make the Pokemon less overpowered and more balanced and fun to play with, though Legendaries can be made a bit more powerful for "final boss-ness".

Read the CHARACTER INFO.txt and Developer Reference.txt files for details.

Because of the recent changes, you must disregard every character that's been made before this came to light, since there's a chance they won't be compatible anymore. In addition, certain Pokemon were either nerfed (Steelix, Charizard), buffed (Beedrill), or largely unchanged.

NOTE: Be careful with selecting different combinations of Team Modes; Though I was in the process of fixing the different combinations of effects and how the lifebar generates effects, it can become bugged when you select different game modes for both players instead of the same mode. For now, always keep the same mode for both players.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

NXSvTaN.png
LlE370I.png
ehnYSp5.png

Here's the Mediafire Links:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ctqzewhzc5bykcc/Pokemon_Project_Catch_em_All.rar
Update file for people who already downloaded the main file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jcc9wjyi4nyaygb/Pokemon_Project_Catch_em_All-update.rar

Known Bugs:

Spoiler

1. If you hold any directional key/pad after the fight ends but before the win states, the Pokemon will go into their win state and be stuck in their standing animation. The A.I may do this, but it has only happened around 5% of the time.
2. The speed drop from paralysis is reduced by 1/3 instead of 1/2 like what Generation 7 uses. This is intentional, since going any lower than that causes Pokemon to become sluggish and thus become unplayable after being hit by paralysis.
3. Due to the damage being rounded down, Shedinja cannot be KO'd by Sandstorm or Hail damage. This is intentional, otherwise Shedinja would be KO'd before the match begins with those weather effects.

Short list of System Changes:

Spoiler

*General System*

1. All files that have the extension ".cmd" is now changed to ".cmnd" to prevent conflicts with Microsoft Windows and their Operating System using the same file extension. The file can still be edited freely regardless of this change.
2. The select screen now displays the pokemon's move list before selecting it. This is done by using a custom portrait.
3. Attack Menu now remembers the last move used, instead of resetting to Move 1 after each selection. The resetting of moves will still happen at the beginning of each fight though.
4. HP bars now change colour to indicate HP levels of 1/2 or more, 1/2 HP or less, and 1/4 HP or less.
5. Added sound for Burn and Poison status, and for being afflicted with Periodic Damage.
6. The attack table appears and disappears quicker than before, decreasing the time it takes to select a move as it appears by 1/2.
7. You can only select Team Arcade, Training, Watch, Options and Exit on the main menu.

*Types*

1. The range of effectiveness of a given Type is reduced; 4x and 2x effectiveness is reduced to 2.25x and 1.5x respectively, and 0.5x and 0.25x effectiveness is increased to 0.66x and 0.44x respectively.
2. Added the types of Freeze Dry, Flying Press, and the Non-Type. These use fvar(28), fvar(29), and fvar(32) respectively, and are all needed due to certain pokemon moves: Freeze Dry causes Super-effective damage to Water-types, effectively ignoring its resistance to Ice attacks; Flying Press is both a Fighting and Flying-type attack that shares the strengths and weaknessess of both types; The Non-Type is used on moves that deal fixed damage or is otherwise typeless.

*Weather/Terrain*

1. Merged weather and terrain code together, making the game slightly less intensive to render properly.
2. Implemented Terrain effects completely for Grassy and Electric Terrain, but not for Psychic Terrain (since Attack Priority isn't fully enforced) or Misty Terrain (since enemy-caused stat reductions don't exist yet). Also, the type-boosting/resisting additional effect will work on both floating and grounded pokemon.
3. Code within the "Each Start of Round" weather generator is fixed to work on a per-round basis, making it useless without using Turns mode. It now has a 25% chance to generate random weather, but only if the weather doesn't exist in the stage yet OR it cannot generate weather due to stage preferences.
4. "Desert" stage now changes between Sandstorm and Harsh Sunlight.
5. "Storm" stage's weather now works properly, permanently becoming Rain. It was a typo of the stage's name in the common1.cns file, not the stage itself.
6. "Magma Flow" stage's weather now changes between Sandstorm (to replicate volcanic ash), Sunlight (to replicate high temperature), and Mist.
7. "Thunder Meadow" stage's terrain is now Electric Terrain, and the weather may change to Rain at the beginning of the fight with a 25% chance.
8. "Sewer" stage's terrain is now Misty Terrain, and the weather is always Mist.

*Trainer*

1. Separated Trainer animations to Statedefs only, making it easier to diagnose problems with it should the need arise.

• 1 month later...